Existing Member?

Our Adventure!

Pattaya

THAILAND | Wednesday, 8 December 2010 | Views [766]

Pattaya

So we ended up spending way too long and over staying our welcome in Pattaya!! We decided that since we were staying with Neil that we would have Britts good camera mailed to us express, so we could take better photos and try to capture our sights at a more real level. Due to unfortunate circumstances at the border and customs and well, just the fact it is Thailand, it ended up taking 2 WEEKS!!!! So, instead of boring you with a 2 week play by play I am just going to give y’all the highlights!!

The very first day there we were taken to the Crocodile farm/zoo place where we were super excited to feed the crocs. We had no idea what we were in for.  We were there pretty early and compared to everywhere else we have been, there were very few people around. Bonus. We walked straight past the croc viewing area, as we don’t do zoos anymore, and it was kinda zoo like, and headed for the feeding area. Walking up I kept hearing what I thought was muffled shotgun blasts. As it turns out it was the crocs smashing their jaws closed trying to get to the chickens they were about to be fed. I was blown away. They were so big. I have never seen such big crocs, I guess on TV you don’t really get to see how enormous they really are. It was a big pond/lake area and we guessed there would have been a thousand crocs in there. We counted close to 100 in close proximity to the dock we were standing on. So we went ahead and tied the chicken to the bamboo poles and started feeding these monsters. It was very intimidating at first, they are so fast, strong and loud, and so many going absolutely ape!! After a while, and a whole lotta chickens, our confidence grew and we actually started taunting them, at the last second pulling the chicken away so they had to jump and miss and get really mad!! When they came out of the water chomping away and missing their bait, we could feel the force by the wind hitting our face and shotgun blast sounds!! It was unbelievable. But, unfortunately, without Britts good camera having arrived yet, the experience wasn’t captured to its fullest.  Following that was the croc show where the trainer daringly puts his arms and head into a crocs mouth. I could barely watch, considering what I had just seen, and the huge scars all down the trainers shoulder and arms. There we a few tigers and elephants and what not there too, but looking too much like a zoo, we bailed.

 

After a few days of lazing around the pool bar at Neils he decided to take us fishing at a local fishing hole. As we are not pros by any means, judging  by my technique (see the pics), we had the owner bait and cast the stick thingys for us. We were there for about 3 hours and I caught 3 or 4 fish. But they were HUGE!!! Each one took me about 30 – 40 mins to reel in. Man it is tough, I don’t know how you fisherman do it!! I was knackered!!! These giant fish were fighting, man. I would say they were probably 30 pounds maybe, not sure but when I finally got the first one to the shore I was shocked. It was pretty easy to get a bite I must say, but have you ever caught a fish that big?? That’s what I thought.

 

That night we went for a round o golf!! 9 holes at a Jack Nichlaus designed course. It was phenomenal. All lit up, with caddies and carts. Rentals and beers included it was still substantially a lot cheaper than at home.  That was fun. Again, I’m not an avid golfer, but I think I might be coming around. It seems to be getting more fun the older I get!! I still came in last place though. “I hate golf, I hate golf.” “Nice shot!” “I love golf, I love golf!!”

 We then went to Neils friends house for a BBQ. It was fantastic. Those Thai women know how to cook!! And a lot of it!! There were a few couples there, us included, so all the women, Britt excluded, fly around cooking and serving and cleaning as they go, it’s quite something, and the guys sit around drinking and eating!! It is a little odd, but that’s the way they do it. They love to serve and cook and clean, and actually get offended if you offer some help!! So I sat back and enjoyed it!!!

 

I had a battle with what I thought was food poisoning. Turns out it must have been some weird Thai monster flu bug. It took me down for a few days. Sick for 12 hours and then weak as a kitten for another 36. And right at the end of my first 12 hours Neils girlfriend Nui started in to it. One after another the whole household got it, even little Juno, who we were worried was gonna miss her first birthday party.  Fortunately we all pulled through and enjoyed another huge BBQ party at Neils friends house who has a 2 year old son who shares the same bday. Another massive celebration with way too much food. A great time, especially since a day or 2 earlier none of us were in any shape to do anything.

 

We heard a lot about how crazy and sleazy Pattaya is, so, since we hadn’t really seen anything too shocking, we spent a night out in the Red Light District on “Walking St”. Other than being offered everything under the sun we didn’t see anything too crazy. We did however enjoy ourselves at The Blues Bar watching a Thai cover band. Not sure if they actually knew what they were singing, in English anyway, but they were really good!! I was craving live music and these guys did it! We requested everything from Queen to AC/DC to Guns N Roses and they played it all!! And did a really good job at it too. Then toward the end of the show a special guest guitar player came on stage. He looked like a Thai version of Slash crossed with Willie Nelson and Cheech!! He was absolutely stunning. It turns out that he is a huge legend in Thailand and most of SE Asia. We have since seen t-shirts and posters of this guy in other countries!! Apparently he has be offered hundreds of times by big Hollwood music buffs to come play and join their labels and bands and he just won’t do it. He is happy playing The Blues Bar. It was just a treat to be able to witness this guy shred the guitar. Epic.

 

The Floating Market was quite nice. Very big, but nice. We got lost for a little bit, but managed to get a grip on our bearings eventually. We had a nice meal and looked at some shops, even contemplated zip lining from one part to another, but as we asked the guy, he just zipped off leaving us standing there like idiots. A simple “NO” would have been just fine but hey. No Falangs I guess!!! Hahahaha. It is quite amazing how such a huge market is built on floats and stilts. Would be a fun place to run a business.

 

We had a few good little Thai style Grill nights at Neils. We caught up on all the UFC fights I have missed, which was another thing I was needing. It was just great sitting around watching a good dust up, sipping on some beers with an old friend. We even got up at 6 in the morning to catch a live Flames game. They lost 2-1 to Detroit. Good job boys. Shut up Kevin!!

So the camera finally showed up and we were excited to get back to backpacking. We had a wonderful time in Pattaya, Neil and Nui were so gracious, and even though we stayed for a week plus longer than planned, they truly didn’t mind. Even with all the throwing up. So after 2 weeks of kicking back and being spoiled it is time for dirty bus rides and hostel living. Can’t wait!!! Heading to Chiang Mai, where the real action is, in the jungle.......

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.