Existing Member?

When I grow up I want to be a world traveller. am going to costa rica. not for any reason in particular, but just because i can. to have an awesome time, in one of the world's most beautiful countries. surfing, learning spanish, exploring rainforests, friendly encounters... pura vida! or i hope...

i heart bus rides to quepos y manuel antonio

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 2 April 2008 | Views [988] | Comments [2]

manuel antonio w/ less impressive surfdude

manuel antonio w/ less impressive surfdude

last weekend was amazing; my friend nadja and I took a bus to quepos to enjoy the beachside for the weekend. The trip to quepos was not exactly w/out some necessary bumps in the road and pretty exciting in itself. And we totally have ourselves to blame for that, since one should probably not get up at 4 in the morning anyways, then be a female lone wanderer in a costa rican city, take the wrong bus to san jose, get into a cab w/ a driver who obviously had had a good night out somewhere around town, wander around the most criminal bus station of CR: coca-cola (wouldn’t it be great if every bus station would carry a soda brand’s name?), drink coffee w/ potential to kill (and this is an achievement in “coffee rica”) then drive for over 4 hours  in an overfull bus. However, the ride to quepos was beautiful: mountains, fields of palmtrees (w/ the exception of commercial fishing and tourism, the oil palm plantations serve as the primary source of employment in the quepos area)… but the way there wasn’t quite as interesting as the way back, with the bus driver taking the occasional shortcut when he felt like avoiding the weekend traffic.  and this involves tiny TINY roads and even tinier bridges. they should def take their example in the west: we got home in a tick! clever, really, those ticos!

we then had to go through the torture of spending the entire day on the tropical(ly hot) beach of manuel antonio, surrounded by iguanas and little crabs (the latter paying waaaaay to many visits to my towel for my likening. i was having some serious talks to those little buggars, but somehow the towel and them were like lil’ magnets…we then moved to another spot underneath some trees where we were introduced by locals how to call monkeys and trace down and open up almonds. it was soooooo cultural anthropology all over again!!

met up w/ some intercultural buddies and went to this amazing bar (barba roja) in the evening to see the sunset. It had the most amazing viewing deck, consequently calling for some serious kodak action. think of how many pictures u can take of a sunset. then just double that and that’s what I’m stuck w/ now (ok…the other reason for taking so many photos being that lisa and i were ecstatic about the functions on our new cameras). not only did we take photos of the sunset and ourselves, but also of this random person totally fit enough to be on a photo. he was rather shocked at first, but turned out to be a very good model indeed.

had a fun night at the hostel. Lovely night too, w/ winds blowing in my ear w/ 50km/h. next morning we decided (whilst sitting in our hammocks enjoying some lovely CR coffee) to go to makanda by the sea, which has the most amazing infinity pool and view EVER. had a seriously killing hike up/down the mountain, but then got pampered like hotel guests. the infinity pool and view were stunning. and it was just us there. true torture…totally adding an infinity pool in CR to my wish list: ¡pura vida!

Tags: barba roja, bus ride, coca-cola, infinity pool, makanda by the sea, manuel antonio, quepos, san jose

Comments

1

Hai Caat,

Heb de site gevonden. Klinkt allemaal leuk, mooie verhalen.... Geniet er maar van. Ik mail je nog wel met wat update.

x Ell

  Ellenoor Apr 2, 2008 7:20 AM

2

YES! Wat een gave foto's.. Wat een prachtige natuur, watervallen en lekker over stenen in het water hobbelen. Ziet er echt gaaf uit!! Weer genoten van je verhaal; ben blij dat je zo geniet! Als je nog eens wat grappigs wilt zien.. Vorige week was ik bij Lingo en kon iedereen genieten van mijn prachtige 10-letterwoord creatie. Blijkbaar was dit zo hylarisch dat Jensen het nodig vond dit meteen in zijn uitzending te laten zien, dus heb mijn dubbele TV debuut gemaakt. Lingo EN Jensen, wat een grap! Verder alles top hier, lekker aan het genieten van een weekje vrij en maandag weer aan het werk :) Kijk uit naar je volgende verhaal en foto's! Dikke zoen van je BN'er vriendinnetje hihi

  Marjo Apr 4, 2008 2:28 AM

About kitcat

fruit salad w/ more icecream than fruit didn't rock as much...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.