Existing Member?

Fairies exist

Wonders we all are looking for

THAILAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [121] | Scholarship Entry

The sea in which I bathe is called the Andaman. Today is a holiday and the beach is packed with Thais. They sit everywhere in groups. On the tracks near the beach they spread out some rags and eat things which seem strange. They have fun. On the beach a very chubby Russian boy walks with his father and collects small crabs in a plastic bag with water. He does it seriously. Grabs them in his fist and thrusts the lot in a bag. Why? To hunt? To eat them? I don't know.
Crabs never get out of the sea, but today suddenly began to run along the beach. They are tiny, I cannot even take pictures. A chubby boy definitely catches them for some reason.
In the morning I made a wish that I would meet a new man, nice, pure, interesting and unique. To walk with him on to the beach and talk from morning till night. And in the afternoon he appeared. Materializing as if by magic!
I had a book, but I didn’t feel like reading that day. After spending a couple of hours watching people, I left the beach and went wandering. A dusty McDonald's sign caught my eye. I wasn’t hungry but was drawn inside. The thing about McDonalds, it is the same wherever you go. For people, who look for serenity it’s probably the most suitable place.
I was sitting near the window thinking about the sea and the people. I didn’t notice the old man sitting at the next table. I looked up only when he politely asked me, how I was doing. He looked exactly like Santa Claus but without jacket. Instead of that he was wearing red T-shirt with writing “Pray and work”. Yes, exactly. Work hard and pray. There is nothing else to do.
I replied to his question, then he asked me about my accent. I didn’t notice the passing of the next two hours as we talked as if we had known know each other for many years.
His name is Lester and he is 60 years old. He is Australian and has the appearance of a magician. He really works as Santa Claus at Christmas time. He showed me some tricks with his cell phone and sang two songs and one aria. I came back to reality when a little Thai man pointed to us with his finger and said something to his friend.
I felt like I woke up from a dream, Lester looked the same, curious and surprised. He shook my hand and quickly left.
I’m still not sure I really met him. Could I have dreamt about him in this terrible heat? But the one thing I know exactly now, it is better to make a wish even if it sounds weird. You never know what next step will bring, but in any case it won't be boring.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About kislorod


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.