Existing Member?

The journey not the arrival matters I believe that travel is the best education. I wanted to learn more about myself and the world so I embarked on a journey, with minimal plans, eager and ready to discover new places, new people and to be adventurous!

Eastern Wanderer Topdeck Tour

AUSTRIA | Wednesday, 10 July 2013 | Views [917]

I was initially apprehensive about the type of people who might be on this tour... I imagined a group of stupid 18yr olds interested only in getting drunk and how they look... hot blondes and buff guys and then along comes boring fatty Kish ...But I was pleasantly surprised- we had this really lovely completely mixed bag including a gorgeous mexican 22 yr old gynaecologist and his beautiful sister, some super quiet and shy guys from rural Australia, a body builder, a few hairdressers, a 38 yr old, a few 'I'm-not-sure-where-I'm-going-in-life-but-gonna-have-a-blast-in-the-meantime' folks, an 18 yr old female mechanic, some psychologists and a weird guy who is a military aeroplane navigator and loved to have stimulating discussions about the wonders of the human brain with me!! 
 
** Highlights **
Amazing Austria - Sky diving. Incredible. Was a bit nervous in the morning, excited when I got in the plane, excited and nervous doing the 20min scenic flight around the Austrian alps but then became too distracted by the stunning scenery to be worried anymore and all I remember is putting one leg out of the plane and thinking "holy shit, you're actually going to jump out of a plane, I'm so proud of you, Kish!" And next minute it was happening and with my cheeks plastered to my ears I screamed and screamed at the top of my lungs to the instructor guy "OH MY GOD I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS IT'S AMAZING THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS SO AMAZING WOW OH MY GOD THIS IS AWESOME" over and over !! Haha an important side note for those interested in jumping - you don't get that horrible stomach drop thing because you can't actually see the ground when falling so the occular-vestibular system etc doesn't affect you! And then of course after the 40 second free fall - which felt like 2 seconds and I wanted it back again as soon as it finished- the parachute opened (thank fuck) and it was just this delightful paraglide down through the luscious green mountains, fresh air, post adrenalin-rush bliss.
 
            
 
In Tirrol, we went for a walk around this super quiet town and stumbled across a drunk 18 year old boy who lost his tennis match earlier and was drinking his sorrows away because losing that match was a "fucking pitch" haha he was adorable with his strange English and after a bit of chatting  he invited the 10 girls I was with into the tennis club... The other 18-19 year old boys were stoked of course and next thing they're pouring us shots and handing out beers like they're going out of fashion. I just remember thinking... 'One minute, strolling along the quiet streets of Kirchdorf, NECK MINNIT ... drinking beer with drunk Austrian boys at the local tennis club!!'... and I was reminded why I love travelling and the spontaneity associated with it!!
 
    
 
Stunning Slovenia - Lake Bled- Lubljana. Gorgeous lake surrounded by dark green forest and snow capped mountains and in the middle of the lake, a little island with a beautiful church perched on top. Such a stunning picture to look at from any angle. Brady and Lindsay had told me they swam across to the island when they were here so I was determined!! It wasn't a particularly warm day but we had a few hours of spare time. Most of the sensible people decided to hire a boat and row across, but not me!! No way man! People thought I was nuts. I was happy to do it alone but I had inspired one other looney to go with me and she made sure there was a boat of topdeckers close by in case she drowned!! So I set off and within 10 minutes (it really wasn't that far after all!!) I was at the other side and everyone thought I was a champion!! I felt like I'd just accomplished the English Channel!! Haha On the way back I took my time, swimming alone, floating on my back just constantly turning 360 degrees in the water to soak up the views and I had one of those moments. You know those ones, where you're like, yep, this is it! This is life! This is what it's all about. I don't need anyone or anything else in the world right now. I am so happy in this moment. Here and now. I wouldn't rather be anywhere else, or be doing anything else and I am so glad that it's all mine and I dont have to share this moment with anyone.
 
        
 
Vibrant Venice - gondola ride - the girls in my boat convinced me that I simply had to sing a song and serenade them along the canals. I really didn't want to but gave in when we reached the open water where sound couldn't travel as much... I suddenly thought, why the hell not?! Next thing you know 'Somewhere over the rainbow' is floating across the Venetian canals, people on the bridges have stopped to listen and are throwing 1 and 2 cent coins into the boat! I even made some of the girls cry, after which they said that I had made their experience in Venice so magical beyond their wildest dreams and they'll never forget it blah blah... I was so embarrassed and didn't want to be a show off but I was also so glad seeing the joy it brought them to have their own personal gondola serenader :) 
 
    
 
Cracking Croatia - Pag Island - a party island - must say I wasn't so keen and would've much rathered Dubrovnik or something but hey, beggars can't be choosers. The whole group was heading out (nanna kish didn't feel like it really) but I didn't want to be a party pooper... Naturally I ended up having a great time, dancing up a storm!! Turns out dancing is even more fun when you're outdoors on a wooden decagon jetty completely surround by water with a flashing multi-coloured dance floor and strobe lights!! 
 
        
 
Pretty Prague - a very beautiful city- they call it the Fairytale Capital of Europe. It is undoubtedly very beautiful with lovely buildings and cathedrals, but I am starting to realise that for me, a city also needs greenery... No matter how lovely the architecture, streets and houses are, I definitely feel more of a love for the cites with parks, trees and green riverbanks. One night we went to this crazy club which had I think 5 different levels, each playing music from a different era- my favourite was the 'oldies' level, grooving away on a dancefloor with changing fluoro coloured squares.
 
    
 
Awesome Amsterdam - I was a bit reluctant to go here since the last time I was there was with Ken, but I'm so glad I did, because we were blessed with gorgeous weather and went on a beautiful bike ride, followed by a group picnic in the park!! Obviously we had to try smoking.... When in Amsterdam :) which was quite funny since the group I was with had no idea what to even ask for when we got to the counter. I was the only one ballsy enough to say, hi, I'd like a joint please and what would you recommend for 5 girls who haven't really smoked much before. I think the guy was laughing inside, but he patiently gave me advice, sold me a 4 pack and we sat like novices passing around a couple of joints, trying not to cough, all pretending we knew what we were doing and that it wasn't affecting us!! Haha I didn't have much, but must say I quite enjoyed the relaxed feeling :) And, no hangover- Perfect! Good thing it's not legal back home!!
 

About kish

The journey begins...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.