Existing Member?

The journey not the arrival matters I believe that travel is the best education. I wanted to learn more about myself and the world so I embarked on a journey, with minimal plans, eager and ready to discover new places, new people and to be adventurous!

Idyllic Italy

ITALY | Sunday, 2 June 2013 | Views [554]

So it's been a while- time for the next installment! It was quite interesting reflecting on my last post and how muddled I was!! Things are definitely a lot clearer for me now... Actually the difference is, I haven't really been 'thinking' about how I feel... I've just been enjoying!! 
 
Captivating Cinque Terra
So we'll start with the amazing Cinque Terra - a magnificent coastal region of Italy. I had a few days spare between Hong Kong and Poland, decided to check out this often-raved-about spot, and it by golly was it a decision well made! I absolutely loved it. I was completely blown away by the beauty surrounding me... it's funny, I have this habit of stopping myself when I'm travelling sometimes to see whether Adelaide has similar beautiful spots - I often find that it does, but just because I'm in another country things seem more amazing (the sunsets at Henley Beach can actually be pretty spesh!!) ... But alas, in this case, no, Adelaide was no comparison... I hadn't ever come across a vista like this before - steep, rugged coastline with a dramatic drop to the sea, and 5 towns with terraces of wonderful pastel coloured buildings and rooftops - yellow, pink and blue interspersed with luscious green park life, flowers and mountains. 
 
     
 
One day I hiked around the coastline between 3 of the towns and I could not wipe the smile off my face! The sky was bright blue, the water dark deep blue, butterflies darting amongst the green trees and shrubbery with the occasional patch of vibrant yellow, red or purple flowers. I just kept thinking ... This is paradise!! 
 
      
 
After a delicious Margherita Pizza and a glass of red wine, I met a lovely young boy from USA called Joseph in my dorm room and we stayed up chatting and laughing all night! Actually that is one thing I have noticed a lot- most of the people I'm meeting are younger than me and I've barely come across anyone my age... Sometimes I feel ancient or immature, but I like to think I'm just maintaining my youth! :)
 
Astounding Amalfi coast
Yet again Italy, you never cease to amaze. The astounding Amalfi coast is somewhat similar to the cinque terra region but perhaps a bit more incredible because it's bigger and has more of those gorgeous little coloured houses teetering on the edge of the magnificent steep cliff faces.
 
         
 
One day I was determined to do a recommended hike - 'Sentiero Degli Dei' = 'Path of the Gods' and I would have to say it was the most phenomenal scenery I've ever experienced throughout a hike! I kept thinking over and over how appropriately it was named, given the breathtaking views! So, of course, there's a story - I was told I had to do the hike early in the morning because it gets too hot... But I'm a trooper, I'll be fine in the middle of the day - I'm from sweltering Australia (and I needed the sleep in after absinthe was passed around my hostel room the night before!) so it's midday, it's boiling hot, the sun feels just as sharp as it does in Aus, and I'm catching a bus to woop woop to start this trek, barely anyone else around because of course there's no other mad person doing this!! About 2 hours into the hike ... I've run out of water, I'm saturated with sweaand a guy passes me - the first person I've come across! I try and keep up with him and am so focussed on keeping in time with his stride that I don't see the sign pointing to the right. 20 mins later he enters a gate marked 'private property' ugh!! He realises I'm there and asks me where I was heading- yes, I was meant to turn right but hey, now that I'm here do I want to see his farm?? - of COURSE!! So I meet his beautiful horses, sheep, dogs, chickens etc living on this stunning hillside overlooking the entire coast and I take a moment to absorb the reality of his perfectly located home and the incredible panorama he gets through his kitchen window every day!!
 
           
 
Food wise, I continue to eat up to 5 or 6 gelatis a DAY amongst pizza and bread rolls with ham and cheese (cheapest and easiest option) ... And this would be the section of my trip where I began my transformation into an elephant :(

 

About kish

The journey begins...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.