Existing Member?

Americas

Caye Caulker

BELIZE | Wednesday, 11 January 2012 | Views [413]

Paul's feeling a bit under the weather today.  He is currently having a sleep.  We have no idea what he has - I'm guessing it is something to do with too much drinking and partying since before Christmas.  Hopefully it is nothing worse than being a bit run down.  

Practiced guitar this morning.  We are trying to come up with a few ditties that we can perform if need be.  Plus I am keen to play songs together for fun.  Managed to keep breaky cheap for the first time in a while with coffee made with a strainer and sultana bran and milk.  For lunch we found a little chinese restaurant that was heaving and served up food that didn't let us down.

Went for a walk to the southern part of the island.  Gosh it is hot!  Saw the small airstrip - pretty cool and definitely the most laid back airport I've ever seen.  No fences or anything, just a great egret and a couple of locals walking dogs.

Have decided that we might try to stay for a week, so that we can be sure that Paul is definitely better by the time we go on the awesome Raggamuffin tour south to Placencia.

Dinner tonight was a bit of a miss.  Took nothing more than a recommendation from a dodgy kind of local guy on a bicycle trying to sell weed.  He suggested for good cheap seafood go to Jolly Rodgers BBQ on the water up in the north-eastern part of the island.  We got there too late and all the grilled crayfish had already gone.  The coconut curry lobster was actually great, but instead of getting two of those we opted for one shrimp kebab also, which was a waste of time. 6 tiny shrimp on two pathetic skewers and some plum sauce was a little dissappointing.  The sides were plain white rice, mashed potato and a tiny piece of lightly spread garlic bread, not exactly breaking the budget or stretching the culinary skills of the cooking team.  Hardly a vegetable or salad item in sight.  The boisterous tour group of young singles sharing stories of their most wild sex location kept us entertained for a while, but seemed to be taking up the attention of the wait staff leaving us feeling a bit neglected.  The complementary corn chips, dips and salsa etc, never materialised.  The sugared 1 1/2 cups of rum punch weren't really worth it and having to ask at the end for our complementary chocolate cake was a little annoying.  The waiter couldn't have cared less if we were there or not, and thus received no tip.  It's the first time we have not tipped all trip.  Hopefully the young punk got the hint.

Anyway as Paul was having trouble swallowing it was no big deal that the dining experience was slightly under par.  We headed home and Pauly D hit the hey immediately.  I knocked off a couple more episodes of the Mysterious Cities of Gold.

All in all, glad to be in such a wonderful place.

Tags: island

About kirstykay


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.