Existing Member?

Nomadic Noble I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.

Gion Festival - Narita, Japan

JAPAN | Monday, 16 July 2007 | Views [2066] | Comments [1]

A couple of World Nomads are back on the road. Nick Pound and myself are on the way to the annual Lonely Planet Conference in San Francisco and we thought we'd go a different route and drop in to Japan on the way through.

It was only a 24 hour stop over and we had all intentions to bullet train into Tokyo, but a funny thing happened on the way to the pub and we were convinced by the friendly towns folk to stick around for the Gion Festival.

Gion Festival, Narita Gion Festival, Narita

Gion Festival, Narita

Apparently the biggest festival in Narita, it is held along with the Dainichi-nyorai Festival of Shinsho-ji Temple which is a sight to see in itself.


Starting with the passage of mikoshi (portable shrine), ten floats from each area of the city are drawn around through it for three days. You get to stand on the side and see the most amazing array of traditionally dressed villagers drag large shrines, using 80 foot ropes, down the main street and past the temple.

At the major intersections they stop, pull out their fans and break out into a local song. I tried to find out from some of the locals what they were actually singing, but was waved away as obviously a smelly tourist, bit of a shame, but decided to capture it for all to enjoy on Youtube.

Tags: culture, festival, japan, narita

 

Comments

1

You mean nobody got killed? Or even just seriously injured? What sort of Japanese festival is that? Haven't you seen the guys riding the huge tree log down the hill? Or the other ones running around naked in the dead of winter when it's minus 4?

;-)

We'll have to organise something!

  simon_monk Jul 16, 2007 8:33 PM

About kipnomad

My rough head...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.