Existing Member?

The Little (and Littlest) Hobos Round the World Adventure

Beautiful Borneo

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 15 May 2011 | Views [552]

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay but I ended up having an unexpected trip back to the UK as my amazing Gran passed away (don’t worry, I’m doing ok). But now I have arrived in New Zealand so I thought I should update you all on my month in Malaysia before I start attempting to describe New Zealand.

So on 24th March I said goodbye to Alex (she flew off to Australia) and then flew to Malaysian Borneo. I spent the night in Kuala Lumpur’s budget terminal, quite possibly the worst place to try to sleep and it was rammed full of people and benches with more arm rests than seats. There were also a little gang of workmen who kindly asked me to move at around 230am after I had just managed to get 30 mins sleep so they could maintain the ceiling. So by the time I arrived in Kota Kinabalu, the capital of the northern part of Borneo, I was exhausted. I was really lucky to get a lift with the owners of my hostel. Kelly and Peter were so kind and looked after me very well as I spent a total of 6 nights with them during my stay in Borneo. They bought everyone icecreams (yam or durian flavour!) and an array of local pastries and cakes for breakfast which were available all day. If I ever go back to Kota Kinabalu I shall definitely stay with them. They also took me to the airport and to another hotel later in the trip and looked mortified if I offered to pay. Most places would have charged to make any transfers so it was particularly nice of them.

So initially I had 3 days in KK, as Kota Kinabalu is known. It isn’t a beautiful town to look at as most of it got blown up in the second world war but it is pretty interesting as most people are going about their daily business without worrying about tourists too much. There are around 10 malls full of shops, a huge fish market, another two story market for everything else and a few islands off shore. But there were also hundreds of options for cheap and very tasty meals, yes ladies and gentlemen ultimately it ALWAYS comes back to the food and Malaysia is a good place for food. Fresh seafood, lamb, chicken or beef satay sticks, noodle soup, pork belly, pastries, fried chicken in sauce, squid, prawns mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Anyway I then flew across the island to a little fishing port called Semporna. The guidebooks all trashed this place but it was great fun and soooo busy. Most of the people who live there are called Bajau. They are an ethnic group originating in Borneo and Philipines but most of the people in this part of the island are from the Philipines originally. They seem to be much poorer than most people in Malaysia and most do not qualify for education or any other government provided services as they haven’t applied for Malysian citizenship as they don’t realise they are eligible (others are technically illegal immigrants even though their families have been visiting the island periodically for hundreds of years).

So I stayed there one night and then got a boat over to the little island of Mabul. The dive office said I might get bored on this island. Never. I was meant to stay in the dive shop’s own accommodation but it burnt down a few weeks before I arrived so I ended up staying in a longhouse on stilits over the water in the village. It only took 5 minutes to walk from one side of the island to the other but I managed to get seriously lost on my first night to the amusement of the locals. I spent hours playing with the kids (most can’t go to school) and puppies in the little ramshackle village or watching kids fishing using string and a waterbottle from mini boats. The houses were made with anything the owners could get but often thin plywood sheets and a timber floor and frame.

The dive shop was really well organised and great fun and had a mixture of young brits, older expats and locals working there. Stayed 7 nights on the island but could easily have stayed far longer. The diving was brilliant and saw so many different creatures and corals but my favourites were the normous turtles, green and hawksbill and the little juvenile sweetlips that bumbled about trying not to be spotted but being awful at hiding. Oh and the frogfish with legs and feet that crawl around looking like a bit of wood or coral. Went back to KK after that for couple more to wait for Jon who came out to Borneo for a couple of weeks for his hols

Didn’t do much in KK this time as I found out about my Gran when I got back and also had an ear infection which was pretty painful. Moved to a swanky hotel when Jon arrived but it was such good value. King size bed and amazing views of the bay from the 13th floor. We left our bags there whilst we went to climb Mount Kinabalu. The day after Jon arrived we took a share taxi (minibus full of locals and bags) up to the base of the mountain. We stayed in a lovely little place with glass walls in the bedroom and the bathroom looking out over the valley. When we arrived the mountain was shrouded in clouds which made it easy to pretend it wasn’t really there! We signed in with all the companies we were using and booked a guide etc and got an early bed ready for the climb itself.

It took from 9am to around 3pm to climb to base camp which works out at around 1 km an hour! The altitude was noticeable from the start and it was raining most of the way. The guides and locals (who carry up to 40kg of provisions) wear rubber shoes called Kampung Adidas (Village Adidas) and plastic ponchos and don’t seem to notice the climb at all. We stopped frequently to fill up waterbottles and to rest. So glad we picked up walking sticks (the man had had to search for a Jon sized one as he is 6 foot 4) which really helped towards the end. We ate early at the restaurant and were in bed asleep by 830pm ready(ish) for a 1:30am alarm to start the final descent at 2:00am.

That was the worst part for me. Climbing in the dark wet with a torch and the air got thinner and thinner. I was feeling really nauseous for about 2 hours of the climb that morning and I very nearly decided to wait for the dawn on the upper slopes but I managed to keep going by counting to 10 over and over again – and the guide Anndy grabbed my hand and kept me going bless him. Parts of the climb you have to drag yourself up with rope or on hands and knees. Near the top (3 and a half hours later) I suddenly found my legs and felt much better so seemed to have more energy than most people on the last bit much to Jon’s amusement ( I had done the same thing on a training run for my half marathon last year). It was stunning up top and it was such a relief to have made it in one piece and without throwing up like lots of the Japanese ladies seemed to do.

On the way down we engaged in a rather scary sounding but in reality fairly easy activity of Via Ferrata, well at least it would have been easy if we weren’t already exhausted hehe. Basically you climb down and across a sheer rock face but you are attached to a line which is securely (apparently) fastened to the mountain side. It was good to do something else for part of the climb down and I realised that I was not as scared of heights as I previously imagined. Anyway we arrived back at base camp at around 830am and spent the next 7 hours stumbling and staggering down the mountain. My legs gradually lost all coordination so that I would aim for the small step down and my foot would land on an entirely different and more tricky rock. Fortunately I only fell once on a slippery bit of rock and managed not to injure myself particularly.

We finally arrived at the bottom of the mountain where we had originally intended to get a public bus back to KK but we decided to get a private cab straight to the doors of the hotel. We then washed and ordered room service (which was ridiculously cheap by western standards) and collapsed by about 8pm. The following day we lounged by the side of a pool but to get there on the way we had to traverse a number of normal sized kerbs however due to extreme stiffness and quite a lot of discomfort I found it easiest to use a roadsign pole to heave myself up and down much to the amusement of the locals. It took me and Jon around a week to walk with no pain whatsoever. I shall consider carefully if I shall ever repeat the experience on some other mountain but it was completely unforgettable.

Anyway in Malaysia it seems to be cheaper and far quicker to get cheap flights around Borneo rather than buses so the following day we flew to a rather grotty place called Sandakan which seemed to be full of shady looking guys on street corners doing dodgy money exchange deals from Malaysian Ringgit to Philipines Pesos (the nearest Filipino island is just 20 k from Sandakan). We got an ancient public bus to the famous Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary where we joined the throngs of people crowding around a wooden platform in the hope of seeing some orang-utans. A number live around the area and return to the sanctuary for the snacks. We waited and waited and just when everyone thought we might not be lucky a young male arrived. He stuck his head in a bucket and stuffed his face with fruit before stealing large handfuls of long beans and dangling off a wire above us all. As everyone was watching him a much larger male rocked up behind us all. It was a bit of a shock. He strutted through the crowd as though we weren’t there. The rehab centre is highly controversial as some conservationists believe they have not fully rehabilitated any orang-utans however when you see the extent of the destruction of the rainforest on that island you can’t help but think that anything that keeps the gene pool going and that encourages locals to look after orangs to ensure tourist income has to be positive really.

The following day we went to stay at a safari camp on the banks of the river Kinabatangan. It’s actually a pretty sad place because the rainforest has been decimated to within a few hundred metres of the river bank and that is why it is relatively easy to see such a wide range of wildlife in such a small space. Anyway we decided to go because we are hoping what little rainforest that is left remains there to keep the tourist money rolling in. To get there we had to get a bus for around an hour on the road and then on the palm oil plantation track to the little village to get a boat to the camp. Unfortunately there had been heavy rains the night before and so the road had turned into a quagmire. Hence we moved from our comfortable coach into the back of a pick up with all our luggage and proceeded on our way with a lot of churning noises and mud spattering onto our faces. We saw different kinds of hornbill, storm storks, monitor lizard, snakes including a python, many many macaques, some probiscus monkeys and eventually a wild Orangutan. It was astonishing how easily he merged with the tree. Even though you knew he was there you couldn’t see him at times!

When we got back to civilisation we arranged a taxi to go to a protected bit of forest where a number of groups of Probiscus monkeys live. They are hilarious and the locals originially named them ‘Dutch monkeys’ – the Dutch were in control of that part of Borneo at the time!!!! Incidentally they have red hair, huge droopy noses, fat pot bellies and the men have enormous erections permanently. Hilarious but also amusing to watch for hours. They jump from tree to tree and you often are convinced they will fall but they rarely do.


Anyway we waved goodbye to Sabah and flew down to the other end of Malaysian Borneo to Kuching (it means Cat in the local tongue) in Sarawak. Plenty of good food court meals and we wandered around town for ages looking at beautiful artefacts in the shops. Managed to not buy any which is a minor miracle. We then went on a 3 day 2 night homestay trip at a Bidayuh longhouse. The Bidayuh are an ethnic group who originate in that area (read were there many many moons before the Malays) and they are doing really well at promoting their way of life to tourists. We went on guided walks to hot thermal springs, ate meals steamed in huge bamboo tubes, treks through the jungle, music and blowpipe workshops and repeated rice wine tastings….I still have a small amount in a miscellaneous glass bottle at home

Finally we left Borneo and flew to Singapore. We made the most of my last few hours and walked for miles and miles. My favourite area was Little India. Roads and roads of tiny bustling shops and curry houses. We ended up in Raffles, the famous hotel and had a number of Singapore Slings (they were invented at that hotel).

Phew, I am exhausted just writing about it but it was a truly amazing month and I shall miss Borneo.

About kimbob26


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.