Existing Member?

The Little (and Littlest) Hobos Round the World Adventure

Diving on a little island and back to Pnomh Penh

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 8 February 2011 | Views [412] | Comments [1]

Hi everyone,

Time is going by really fast. We had a great little holiday within a holiday last week, just relaxing by the sea and pool and making the most of really good value barbeques and cocktail happy hours. Not that any of the cocktails were like the ones we have at home but a fresh mango daquiri is wonderful. You could get 3 pork chops, rice or chips and salad for $3 - brilliant

We booked on a little one night trip to an island about 2 hours by boat from the mainland at Sihanoukville called Koh Rang Samloem. So I got back into my diving a bit (though it was nowhere near as beautiful as in Thailand - think I was spoilt by learning there). And we stayed on a little peninsula in a very basic wooden hut on stilts by the sea. The dive instructor took us into the little fishing village where we had our first taste of real cambodian life. The villagers were all dancing round a living room in a circle. Although it was only about 4pm some of them were seriously under the in fluence of the local moonshine which I am glad to say we didn't try. They wouldn't let us sit down and were devastated when we had to leave for dinner :-) I didn't take any photos as I thought it would spoil the mood but apparently they do this 3-4 times a week!

Then we came back to our hotel and spent a couple more days chilling out before we got a bus back to Pnomh Penh. We are currently staying in a very very posh hotel with a pool but changing to a more basic hostel tomorrow (still with AC though).

Went to the Genocide Museum yesterday. It is truly shocking seeing the way people treated each other with no apparent reason and amazing again how people have somehow moved on and put it behind them. Will always remember it.

We are off to Siem Reap  on Friday. On the agenda are seeing the temples at Angkpor Wat and maybe do a cookery course and have a massage. We'll see. We'll be there just over a week before we fly to Luang Prabang in Laos.

Hope you are all good. Please send me updates with how you are getting on. Missing everyone very much

xxxx

Kim

Comments

1

Sounds immense! Can't imagine how you're managing to regularly eat spicy food!

Suffice to say that all in blighty are having a proper rock n roll time - it's been grey, wet and cold. On the plus side, spring will be here soon!

  Hugo Boss Feb 15, 2011 11:43 PM

About kimbob26


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.