Existing Member?

Kim's Travelling Adventures!

Back in Tokyo, and some things Ive forgotten...

JAPAN | Friday, 30 May 2008 | Views [568]

Yesterday I had a bit of an uneventful day, I was still feeling a bit sick and the weather was not very nice so I went to go see a movie.  Indiana Jones doesn:t come out here till June (i was very angry when I found this out!) so I went to go see Narnia instead.  The theatre was in a place called Roppongi Hills, which is basically a HUGE area which had shopping malls, restaurants, salons, spas, and this movie theatre.  The shopping mall had stores like Armani and Tiffanys, I kind of felt a bit out of place there!  The movie was in English and had Japanese subtitles, and the thing I love about theatres here is that you pick the seat you want to sit when you buy your ticket!  Very nice.  The movie was great but was filmed in Glenorchy (1/2 an hour away from where I lived in NZ) so it made me miss New Zealand quite a bit!  When I got back to the hostel I met some guys that were just about to go see a baseball game, so I went with them.  It was the Tokyo Giants vs. the Eagles (I dont know where they were from!) and baseball is huge in this country so the fans were NUTS!  They had drums and flags and everyone was dressed up, and each player had their own little song that everyone would sing!  Back at home there are big strong guys that run up and down the aisle at baseball/hockey games selling beer or popcorn, here there are just cute little Japanese girls!  I dont know how they are so strong, they all basically carried a keg on their back and ran up and down the aisles and poured beer for people!  And they were wearing the craziest outfits, I will upload my pics from the game soon.  Today I didnt do much because it was raining again, but I did have some starbucks which was delicious!  Starbucks here is so funny, they yell out your drink order in Japanese which is pretty hilarious to hear.  I dont know how I forgot, but I didnt write about the Japanese Onsen I went to in Mt. Fuji!  Basically, an Onsen is kind of like a public bath house, but the water they use is special, I think it comes from the mountains or something!  The place I went to had seperate girls and guys bathing areas (which made me very happy), so you just get completely naked (no bathing suits allowed at all) and wash yourself off then soak in these baths.  They had one outside which was really nice because there were views of the mountains!  Besides all of the old Japanese women walking around in the nude, it was actually a really nice and relaxing experience and I hope to do it again while Im here!  I think thats about it for now, Im starting to get very excited for my trip to Australia, only because I will get to see my best friend Anne from Canada!  YAY!  Talk to you all again soon!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.