Existing Member?

Gone Fishin' Follow your dreams

Hiking Cerro Baul, Torata

PERU | Saturday, 12 January 2008 | Views [1311]

Summit, below you can see more of the rock formations ceated by those in hopes of good luck. Cerro Baul, Torata

Summit, below you can see more of the rock formations ceated by those in hopes of good luck. Cerro Baul, Torata

Cerro Baul has an elevation of---- and has a huge flat summit.  Legend says that the Inca hid their gold and other precious possession in caves from the Spanish.  I saw no signs of gold once I reached the top, but there were lots of signs of ceremonies and the stuctures once used as a lookout for the villages below.  To date, those that believe in the folklore and legend will construct ceremonial designs out of the rocks in hopes for good luck, a good crop, wealth, health,etc...  I saw one formation with ELVIS scribed out of the rocks. After the hike, Marco and I hitch hiked to the next town.  we squeezed into the hatch of a station wagon already jammed with a family.  At first the driver said the ride was free.  Once we reached the town, he stuck his hand out for some kind of payment.  Typical Peru.  One sol (.30) lighter, we headed to our destination, the waterfalls.  Unfortunately my camera battery died.  The falls were awesome and HUGE.  The water from the falls sprayed the surrounding area creating a green lush field in a canyon of dry, dusty and brown terrain.  Not that the falls were easy to get to.  First we hiked about 2 miles with unanswered prayers for a car to give us a lift.  Then, a treacherous hike down into the canyon.  All I could think about while crawling along the tree we used as a bridge to cross the river and scaling the cliff side was, I wonder if my travel insurance would consider this as apart of a tour AND I invisioned my Mothers face when she would tell me "have fun, but not TOO much fun".  The Falls where worth the trip there.  the trip back up, is debatable. 

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.