Existing Member?

Kiley in Canada

Maple Tapping

CANADA | Tuesday, 25 March 2008 | Views [566]

Me in the maple bush

Me in the maple bush

So I did get to go to a Sugar Bush/Maple Syup festival on Sunday. It was at the Purple Woods Conservation Area east of the city. The bush area basically looked like a area of deciduous trees, but when you get up close each one has a tap and then a tube connecting them all together. The sap is carried to a shed or mini-factory where it is boiled down to create the super sweet maple syrup. Only Sugar Maples are used for this, and it takes about 40-50 buckets of sap to make one bottle of maple syrup. But the maple syrup is SO good!

We had pancakes with fresh maple syrup and had a horse and wagon ride through the sugarbush (i was hoping for a sleigh ride, but surprisingly there wasn't enough snow!). We also got to see them boiling down the maple sap, and see the 'maple sand' which is a byproduct of minerals and other non-syrup friendly stuff (like wood, sand, and gravel that the tree has sucked up). Plus we got to buy some of the produce too! I've added some pics from the day...

About kiley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.