Existing Member?

Kiara's Amazing Travels

I LOVE Sri Lanka

SRI LANKA | Friday, 7 January 2011 | Views [1541]

Sri Lanka could possibly be one of my favourite countries in the world and somewhere that I feel most content and at my happiest!! I couldn’t wipe the huge smile off my face when we arrived. Our first day was spent with the human dynamite, aka Aunty Olly, who we accompanied on several errands around Colombo. Particularly memorable was a visit to the hospital where we found ourselves in the mental ward, being eerily watched and feeling totally out of place. With no windows, locked prison doors and some freaky people, it was almost like a scene out of Shutter Island. Welcome to Sri Lanka Matt!!

 

After travelling through India, Sri Lanka looks and feels to me like paradise. I’ve been wondering where all the people are hiding, enjoying the clean streets, wide open spaces and feasting my eyes on all the stunning scenery. I love being surrounded by palm trees, rice paddies, tea plantations, mountain ranges and some beautiful beaches. Despite how awesome I think the country is, the best thing by far about coming here again is visiting the kids at the orphanage. They are the best kids and its going to be hard to leave them again. Matt and I have spent some quality time mucking around, playing cricket and board games, watching movies and helping them with their English. We’ve also had a couple of fun day trips to an elephant orphanage and to Kandy. Around Christmas time a lot of the kids go back to their local villages so we’ve been left with only 8 over the holiday period which has made it that bit easier for us. I don’t know how Aunty Olly copes with 25 kids running around. I hope she knows how much I admire her and hope I can do something as amazing as what she is doing in my life.

 

Christmas with the kids was so much fun, despite the fact that we were both really homesick and missing all our Aussie traditions. We went to midnight mass which was all in Singhalese. Matt especially loved all the standing up and kneeling down on a hard wooden plank!! After church we gave the kids some pressies from A Olly that they continued to play with all night until we had to confiscate them because we were trying to sleep up in the dormitory with them. Matt was the best Santa in the world!! He stayed up until about 3am just to make sure the kids were all sound asleep before using his ninja like stealth to sneak around and fill up their stockings. It paid off in the morning when they ripped open all their presents and choruses of ‘batteries aunty, batteries’ ran throughout to get their motorised toys working. We spent the rest of Christmas day doing some craft activities with them, having lunch, playing outside and then going out to Rambukkanna for hoppers.

Seeing the kids again was so amazing, I can’t explain how happy it made me to see their smiling faces and be called aunty again. They are all doing really well, looking healthy and their English is getting better as well. Little Tharaka is still tiny and struggling a bit with a constant ear infection but his huge smile and beautiful spirit are as bright as ever. Sri Lanka was fantastic and I loved every minute we spent there with the kids and exploring the country. Our experience with the turtle hatchery in Bentota was absolutely surreal and like something out of National Geographic. Our time in Nurawa Eliya and Ella was spent going for long hikes, enjoying the stunning scenery and tea plantations and stumbling across the random cobras in the bush. Our one horrible experience in Sri Lanka was the train ride home from Ella. An overcrowded, rickety, stench filled  10 hour train resulted in two very grumpy Australian passengers, especially when it broke down for an hour and a half. Despite that one train ride though, I fall more in love with the country every time I go there and I can’t wait to go back again.

 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.