Existing Member?

Kiara's Amazing Travels

Magical Hampi

INDIA | Tuesday, 21 December 2010 | Views [800]

Hampi in three words : magical, impressive and memorable. A small town defined by its surrounding landscape of huge boulders and ancient architecture.  We spent our time there riding bicycles and ambling through the major sites at our own pace. The ancient temples individually were no more impressive than the previous ones we’ve seen, but combined with surroundings of lush palms and mysterious boulder formations, it became for us a mesmerising place. Definitely worth the long journey out of our way, it was Matt’s favourite stop in India and definitely up there on my list with Amritsar and Khajuraho.

In between walking and cycling throughout the area, we braved the apparently ‘crocodile infested’ and ‘whirlpool prone’ river on a slowly sinking contraption that the locals called a boat. Shaped like saucers and made from branches and tarp, the boats were used to transport not only people but also motorbikes across the water. We were slightly entertained and somewhat scared by the constant need to scoop out the water that seeped through the flimsy material. Luckily we arrived alive and unscathed on the other side only to fend off a pack of dogs that decided they didn’t like foreigners while we explored the local village.

 

 Matt regained his celebrity status in Hampi and was constantly harassed for conversation and ‘one snaps’. Being generous and kind hearted he indulged most of these people with his charm and wit. However being idiotic and arrogant, he continues to believe that the women all wanted him and the men wanted to be him. I on the other hand was largely ignored unless someone wanted a photo of the good looking white man and his Indian girlfriend!!!

 

After enjoying some good food, feeding the monkeys bananas and buying  new books, we were on our way to Chennai, the last stop in India. Unfortunately Chennai left us with a sour taste in our mouths. We were severely ripped off by our rickshaw driver, it was constantly raining, we battled to fix our cancelled flight situation and our hotel lost power for much of the night. To top it off, our last rickshaw drive to the airport ended with us having to walk 300m in torrential rain because our driver failed to inform us that he couldn’t actually enter the airport. With sopping wet clothes and luggage, we were not happy that our tight asses hadn’t spent the extra $8 to get a taxi right to the door. We boarded our plane with good riddance to Chennai but with so many amazing experiences and memories from a country we will definitely return to.

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.