Existing Member?

Kiara's Amazing Travels

Khajuraho and the Kama Sutra temples ;)

INDIA | Monday, 22 November 2010 | Views [12374] | Comments [1]

kama sutra temples - self explanatory!!

kama sutra temples - self explanatory!!

 

Our stop in Khajuraho provided us with tranquillity, peace and relaxation after spending four days in hectic Varanasi and was probably one of my favourite places so far. This is the site of the famous kama sutra temples which are some of the most impressive and intricate temples I’ve ever seen. Our first day was spent checking into the peaceful ashram that we stayed at, hiring bikes and riding to town, and then exploring the Western group of temples. While all the carvings are impressive and seem to have the amazing quality of dancing on the temple walls, the frequent kama sutra positions were not only erotic but highly visual, leaving nothing to the imagination. I found the depiction of a horse as a man’s best friend both disgusting and amusing, making me wonder what they must have gotten up to 1100 years ago in those small villages for entertainment. Our first night’s entertainment was recommended by a local and was really enjoyable consisting of traditional dances and displays of acrobatics and martial arts.

The rest of our time was spent exploring the other temples of the area, a local waterfall and also going to the sound and light show which gave us a bit of history about the creation of the temples.  Matt especially enjoyed our hilarious session of yoga at 7.30am with an instructor we couldn’t understand and excercises that seemed pointless including eye rolling. However the laughing yoga was particularly enjoyable and gave us all the chance to crack up without offending the instructor. One of the most memorable things about our stop in Khajuraho was the time we spent with one of the local guys who worked at the ashram and invited us back to his local village for chai, lunch, and to visit his family and local hindu temple. Although his name was Kallu, we have dubbed him ‘Smiley Joe’ in recognition of his continuous smile and genuinely happy, friendly nature.

There’s not too much more to tell about this stop except how impressive the temples were, how relaxing the town was and how friendly the people were. I already wish I was back there J

 

Missing you all and hope these blogs are actually portraying how amazing this trip has been so far and how incredibly diverse and fun this country is to travel through.

 

Ki

xx

 

yoga

Comments

1

G'day Ki
Bloody good writing again Ki
How much you've grown up, would love to give you a big hug.
Looking forward to catching up with you in the future.
Keep it up matey.

  Norm Nov 22, 2010 10:36 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.