Existing Member?

Kiara's Amazing Travels

EGYPT

EGYPT | Friday, 21 August 2009 | Views [857]

Sending you all hugs and kisses from Egypt!!!


Hey everyone,


Thought I should catch you all up on the amazing things I've been doing in Egypt for the past few weeks. It's been amazing, insanely hot and a really hectic holiday!!! My first stop was Cairo where I joined the tour group, which by the way is only 8 people all together!! I enjoyed my first sheesha in 2 months and man it was good. Spent a day exploring the Egyptian museum and seeing the pyramids. I actually decided to go into one of the pyramids – great experience except for the fact that it was like a sauna inside. For everyone who knows I say I always love the hot weather... I retract that love and pass it on to more pleasant, warmer climates! I am constantly hot here, like 42 degrees hot and being drenched everyday doesn't make you feel like the most attractive person on the planet lol. But in saying that the nights are beautiful, we always have sun and its been fantastic to jump into the Nile or the Red sea to cool off. So anyways after Cairo we caught an overnight train down to Aswan (south of egypt) and spent a few days exploring the local souk / markets and surrounding areas. We also visited Abu Simbel - Rameses II temple – very impressive indeed. Following that were a few days on a felucca sailboat which we definitely all needed because our schedule had been so jam packed. Relaxing, drinking, eating (awesome food here by the way), reading and swimming in the Nile were our priorities for a couple of days. On the last night we had a few drinks and of course I could be found on the riverbank with some other tourists dancing around a camp fire while the locals belted out tunes for us on their drums!!! We had to jump off the felucca in Luxor :( , saw a few more temples to Horus and then the next day went to visit the Valley of the Kings. This was definitely one of the more amazing monuments, it's literally a valley where approx 60 kings had their tombs carved into the rock. We went into a few of the tombs and it boggles my mind how these people did this. It took thousands of workers and about 30 yrs to complete one!! The paintings on the walls inside are still so vibrant – they look basically untouched – these egyptians are one intelligent group of people I can tell you that!!


Probably the most enjoyable experience in Egypt was spending 4 days in Dahab, on the coast of the Red Sea. Diving among such diverse and vibrant coral and marine life was amazing. I must admit I was a bit nervous at first to go diving, but once under the water and after I'd gotten used to the strange sense of breathing so deep down I was fine. Spent a few days chilling out on the beach, going snorkeling, eating good food, smoking awesome sheeshas and just enjoying life. Quad biking through the desert was awesome, and of course I got in trouble a few times from our guide when I overtook him because in my opinion he was driving like a grandmother lol!!


That's a really quick run down on egypt, I definitely enjoyed the whole experience despite all the hassling and comments we received. Apparently I look egyptian because everyone talks to me in arabic and is really confused when I say I only speak english. Oh and I have been asked how many camels for my hand in marriage – which I politely declined with the answer that my fiance wouldnt be impressed. When I was offered a ferrari that was an entirely different story lol. Who knows I might marry an egyptian for a few camels and a ferrari, at least I'll have a very diverse range of transportation!! I think I had a preconceived idea about Egypt, and was surprised at how different it was to what I expected. There is a lot of hassling, haggling and overall people trying to rip you off. But that's all part of the experience I guess.


Off to Jordan now.....more exciting things to do, wow it's a hard life!!!! xoxox

 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.