Existing Member?

Kiara's Amazing Travels

Relaxing in Mombasa!!

KENYA | Thursday, 18 June 2009 | Views [2661]

friendly camels

friendly camels

To all my beautiful Melbournians,

So to catch you all up on my weekend in Mombasa which is on the coast of Kenya – absolutely gorgeous beaches. Weather was slightly disappointing because it was raining a bit but was still nice and humid and hot. The first day we arrived we explored the city of Mombasa which was very interesting and a lot of fun. We visited Fort Jesus which are ruins of a fort built by the Portuguese to defend the city. Also walked through old town, a Hindu temple and saw the famous 'elephant tusks'(see photos).

Our accommodation was great, short walk from the beach, pool, our own kitchen and balcony which was handy. For the rest of the holiday we relaxed on the soft white sand, occasionally getting up to splash around the clear blue water of the Indian ocean...ahhhhhh bliss!!!! I must say it was kinda random to see camels strolling along the beach with their owners but we soon got used to it. We ate, we drank, we chased sand crabs along the beach and we went snorkeling off a sand bar. I met several 'Rastafarian' and local people along the beach who were friendly enough. I was a bit taken aback and regretfully declined when I was asked if I would like to have “chocolate babies” with one of the Rastafarian men!!!! Sara and I laughed a lot when we were asked to join them for bob marley cigarettes which would apparently make our stay on Diani beach so much more enjoyable!!!

So overall a short break that was definitely much too short but relaxing and beautiful. I was thinking of you all while I was lying in the sun reading my book and chilling with my ipod... Hope you enjoy my photos

Love you all and missing your smiles Ki xoxox

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.