Existing Member?

Kiara's Amazing Travels

First few days in Nairobi

KENYA | Wednesday, 3 June 2009 | Views [1023] | Comments [9]

Hey guys,


This is the first real chance I've had now to really sit down and write about all the things ive been doing. The experience so far has been absolutely amazing, I can't explain how much I love it here and how much fun I'm having.


So after my 30 hour flight I arrived at Nairobi airport and had to wait another 3 or so hours before we arrived at the place we were staying at. It was just a local home stay with a young family but comfortable enough despite the fact we didn't have running water and had to use a bucket to shower, thank god they had a toilet though!! All part of the experience I guess. So I was absolutely exhausted when I arrived, slept a bit on the plane but definitely not enough. But being the party animal I am, I ended up going out with a group of other volunteers to a club in the city until 3am!! Saturday we just checked out the surrounding area, learnt how to catch local transport and figured out where a few things like supermarkets etc are. So that night went out to an African club with more traditional African music – was unreal, we had the best time learing some new dance moves!! Sunday I received my first kiss in Kenya – from a giraffe, went to a restaurant called carnivore and tried crocodile and ostrich and then went to the local arts and craft markets which was fun. Then proceeded to go out again to a few bars haha so much for not drinking but dont worry ive only had a few so don't stress. And so much for 'not coming to Kenya to party' my first 3 nights I went out, not a bad effort. The family I was staying with before orientation was fantastic, they took us out everywhere. Eddie, our hosts son was heaps of fun, I've got lots of photos and we're planning to stay in touch with them all and go out a bit.


So to tell you a bit about Kenya. I loved it from the minute I arrived. The weather is perfect, warm - hot but not humid so you can wear whatever you want. I have felt comfortable and totally at ease since the beginning which was unexpected, I thought I might have some culture shock but it was all good. The place is hectic and totally chaotic!!! Pot holes everywhere, the driving is crazy (very similar to sri lanka) and there are just people everywhere. They have vans they have converted into taxis known as 'matatus' and they squish up to maybe 20 ppl in. Its crazy lol!! We went for a drive up to the country on Saturday to visit one of the orphanages up there, the countryside is so gorgeous. It is lush and green, rolling hills and you really have to see it to appreciate it. The kids at that orphanage were so happy to see us they all call us 'mazungus' which translates to white person lol!! I guess that quiz about me was right, I am just white lol!


I've made a really good friend – Sara – shes from NY and were planning to do a lot of weekend trips etc together. We are placed together and having heaps of fun because we're so similar. We arrived at our placement last night, we're just outside of Nairobi in one of the better off areas actually. There are a couple of other Americans staying with us and also one Aussie guy which is cool. I'm planning a trip with them this weekend to Uganda which should be interesting. This home stay is great, hot showers and internet so this is more comfortable. Our host mother is known as “MAMA LYDIA”!!


I'm working at the local orphanage with children from 6 months to 5 years old, they are so beautiful but their stories are heartbreaking. Some of the kids parents have died from AIDS, some kids were found in ditches or abandoned after birth and one child was removed from his mother after it was found she was drugging him at 4 months old to keep him sleeping!! It's so horrible but these kids are an inspiration. They are so happy and full of life despite all they've been through. Sara and I are going to be there helping out and taking care of the kids. We are organising some classes and more structured routines for the older kids because they don't have the chance to go to school at this stage. We are trying to teach them basic English and maths so hopefully we can make a bit of a difference in their lives. We are trying to make the most of our time and do the best that we can with what we've been given.


Thats a really really quick run down of what I've been doing. I have been so busy it feels like I've been here for a few weeks at least. I've got a lot planned in the next few weeks so I'll keep you updated. Missing you all so much, wish you could see everything I'm seeing. I'm trying to put up photos as I write this so you can see a bit.


Love you all xoxoxx

Kiara aka the “mazungu”



Comments

1

Sounds like your having an awesome time ki!!
love the video of you making out with a giraffe lol
keep us updated when you can!
miss you
luv ya xo

  ciara Jun 4, 2009 12:27 PM

2

haha love the kisses ki
thats really gross lol
mum wants to send it into funniest home videos haha
hope ur having a blast woman! miss u
xoxo

  jess Jun 4, 2009 6:08 PM

3

so i had tears in my eyes when i read what some of those kids have gone thru and saw all of your photos. i am so proud of you. dont think i would ever be able to do what your doing. glad to hear your having an amazing time and making the most of every moment.. and to think your adventure has only just begun!! love you long time xoxo

  Emma Jun 4, 2009 9:51 PM

4

Everyone else has written something so I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.
hehe

eeeew giraffe breath. I will re-think sharing beverages with you in Ireland.

Miss you xx

  Kamila Jun 5, 2009 1:48 PM

5

Hey Beautiful,

Sounds like you're having a ball.
Take care, and keep send the updates.

Love from all the Sydney Keegels (and the Woods')

  Amanda Jun 7, 2009 7:38 AM

6

just read your updates and a tear nearly came to my eye as well...you have made me want to go visit Africa which I never considered doing but I am definitely going to put it near the top of my places to go...sounds out of this world what you are doing...as Ms.Ong would say...Goo on u!!! lol
take care and cant wait to see you :)

  Ivana Jun 9, 2009 1:42 AM

7

Hey kiara19,

We really liked your video and your story and decided to feature it this week so that others could enjoy it too!

Happy travels!

World Nomads

  World Nomads Jun 9, 2009 10:45 AM

8

HI KI WHAT AN AWERSOME LIFE EXPERIENCE. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR HAVING A BALL. YOU GO GIRL. JEALOUS WERE NOT WITH YOU. LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING MORE OF YOUR ADVENTURES. LOVE THE TRCEKS

  GAIL Jun 9, 2009 3:12 PM

9

im jealous of the giraffe!

  josh Jun 13, 2009 2:12 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.