Existing Member?

Gullivers Travels

Wave Rock 2nd - 3rd June

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 3 June 2007 | Views [1287]

Wave Rock, a granite cliffe, 15 mtrs high and 110mtrs long. Its shape has been caused by weathering and water which has undercut the base and left a rounded overhang. Water from springs running down the rock during wetter months dissolve minerals adding to the colouring of the wave. In 1960, crystals from Hyden Rock were dated as being 2700 million years old, amongst the oldest in Australia. The rock is in Hyden which is situated 340km east of Perth, WA, via the Brookton Highway or 350km via York. I went on this road trip with Karen, Malati and Cheryl so a good girlie weekend. The journey took 4 hrs each way but we did stop off in York for a late lunch . York is a quaint town. Really not much going on out of Perth its soooooo quiet. Not sure if its because its winter or not as we followed a typical tourist bus route but everywhere seemed dead. It is also a bank holiday weekend so many locals may have gone away themselves. We went passed the Dog Cemetery en route, a tribute to Australian working sheep dogs! what a time to get there in the DARK - Pet Cemetery the film sprang to mind for us all = ) We arrived at our accommodation meters away from the rock. It was a small little place with everything you needed and it was warm! We had a good laugh at the decor and in general! We decided to go searching for some nightlife - food and booze. The hotel food looked shocking as if it had sat there for days getting sweaty! We decided to give it a miss there and went to a servo to have wedges. The lack of choice was depressing especially as Malati is a veggie/vegan! she ended up having a marmite sandwich. So after stuffing our faces with crap we went back to the hotel for drinks - me and Cheryl fancied some wine but they only had one bottle and the glasses were like pudding glasses. We were wondering when the whipped cream was coming out = ) It was a busy place tho and had a pool competition going on. We had a good laugh there and after our bottle of wine went back to our digs to get some sleep. Sunday the weather reminded us of the UK, cold and overcast = ( but we had a good look round and Wave Rock was amazing to see. The noise the wind made was awesome and we saw a kangaroo on the top of the rock. You could climb over the rock and the views were something. I was really glad that I got to see it as it was somewhere I wanted to see even before I arrived in OZ. It is a trek to get there and it really is in the middle of no where but worth it if you like seeing amazing natural formations like I do! It doesnt take anytime to look around at all and I would reccommend going in a group and just enjoy each others company as the drive is LONG! We went a different way going to coming back just to vary the scenery. The sunset was stunning on the Saturday night. Make sure you take good tunes for the car too as Karens selection was shocking ha ha!

Tags: On the Road

About kezza30


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.