Existing Member?

Gullivers Travels

Perth 21st April - 11th August

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 29 April 2007 | Views [1358]

I am here in Perth staying with Karen and Rob in Claremont. I met Kaz in the UK she was staying with my cousin Phil and said if I was ever in Perth to come visit - so here I am. I arrived in one piece after the train ride = ) It was an experience I am glad I have done it. If there was a next time it would have to be with a cabin and bed! Its not the comfiest of places to sleep in a chair that only goes back 45 degrees! Luckily for me I sleep anywhere and I had plenty of sleep = )

I have been really lucky in getting work straight away - thanks to Kate in Sydney. Its for a company called, Look Smart Alterations and it is in the, Carillon Arcade in the CBD as they call it here (the city)! My boss Chris is from America and is really lovely, sooooo laid back its great and he's great to work for. The people I work with are a good laugh. I will be working here until the I leave. So V. lucky. I work with Gohar, Kamal, Kevin, Sarah Jane, Natalie, Stella and Jake.

Stella and I hang out outside work and have a really good friendship - we share the same sense of humour!! Her husband Nathan is a good laugh too and I also met Zoe who is Stellas best mate - she is clarvoyant and told me some really positive things which is all very exciting. I will miss them a lot when I leave.

Perth is gorgeous and very pretty. I am much happier to be here than Adelaide - I had seen all I wanted to there, I miss Gray and Hels but they are now in Sydney!!! Yeay.

Kings Park and is great, the grass is perfect here its very strange. The park overlooks the city and has stunning views. I went with Karen and Malati and we also had lunch in 'Siennas' which is in a suberb called Leederville. This is the cafe mecca of Perth - very happening! There are really cool areas surrounding the city with great shops and everywhere is sooooo clean. No rubbish on the streets. Claremont where I'm staying is quite posh. There is a wicked coffee shop which reminds me of the coffee shop in The Truman Brewery just off Brick Lane - Funky people hanging out and loud tunes pumping out. Subiaco is really lovely - its an expensive part of Perth. There is a Wagga Mammas!! I love the food here. I cycle through here everyday to and from work. I see the most amazing sunrises and sunsets. I could quite happily live by the beach. I was spoilt in Adelaide as I could just pop 5 mins down the road to see them every night if I wanted but I wasnt working then and the nights are drawing in. Sunsets about 530pm now. The temperature is still high like a good British summer = ) Its been 29 degrees today (11th May)

There are 4 train lines and the train service is really good. And on time! I am cycling to work and from work 16km. I am working 745am - 545pm Monday to Friday. All good as it means I can earn a fair bit to do all the things I want to do!!

I have begun surfing lessons at leighton Beach (North Freemantle) with www.surfschool.com.au, they are brilliant I feel so relaxed around them and they make it so much fun. I love every minuite of it. As they say - practice makes perfect!! I managed to get up on the board four times on my first lesson and thats meant to be really good. Not many people get it the first time, so I feel pretty STOKED = )

Surfing in winter on the West Coast is awesome I truly reccommend it. I have met many travellers who say its a better deal over here learning. Its been so much fun I will be sad to leave here!

I go out on the weekends for drinks and have been trying different places - plenty of places to try and I'm meeting new people all the time. Life is good and every day brings something new. North Bridge is very popular there is plenty to choose from. Its a good laugh here and very busy. If you are coming to Perth the Hip E club is really good fun. The night life here is a good laugh but then again I have a good laugh wherever I go and random nights have been occuring. Me and Laura ended up out on a buck night on Wednesday of all nights!! It was really good fun and everyone was HAMMERED - Having a really good time and everyone is soooo friendly its great.

I met Laura in a shop where she works. She is from the UK and a good laugh. We were going to travel the east coast together but plans change and she is now going fruit picking for 3 months to get her visa extended.

Freemantle is a beautiful place lots of old buildings and lots going on. A great place to go with restraunts, bars and shops - what more do you need!

Kaz and I try and go somewhere new every weekend for lunch after surfing - its full on I tell you and makes you feel so hungry afterwards. So I have seen quite a lot of the suberbs around the city.

I have had two new piercings: My Tregus and Conch - google them to see where they are but they are on your ears!!

I have a funny little tale to tell you.... I had an accident at my work. I stood on a plastic square stool which has a cross shape on the top. It gave way under me and my leg up to my knee went straight through it, the stool then was stuck on my leg and a customer was waiting for me to go out the front of the shop with her clothing - so I had to shout out to her to come back later I have a stool stuck on my leg! This could only happen to me - yes I know thats what you are thinking and you are right =) It was VERY funny and my collegue had to bend the stool to get it off my leg. It was really tough plastic and I was very doubtful that it would come off without some cutters! I had two huge grazes either side of my leg from my knee to ankle - it stung like hell and it was all bandaged up for a few days. It was pretty bad.I hope you had a good laugh at my expense as you know I would at yours = )

I met Malati through Kaz and we have been pretty much inseperable since me arriving here in Perth. We have had lots of laughs and a few random nights in Northbridge = )

Malati is due her baby on the 29th July - still no show as yet!! I am to be her birth partner so we are both waiting anxiously as I leave on the 11th!!

I have had a really good time here in Perth and lots of great memories to take with me. Definately worth a visit and spend some time here if you can it has lots of hidden gems to explore and some great shops.


Tags: Work

About kezza30


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.