Existing Member?

Gullivers Travels

The Great Ocean Road Feb 2nd - 4th

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 2 February 2007 | Views [829]

The Great Ocean Road covers some 400km. It must rank as one of the worlds most spectacular scenic and historic coastlines. From Queenscliff to Portland, it presents a rich and ever changing panorama. Historic towns, surf beaches, rain forests, waterfalls, historic lighthouses, dramatic coastal and ocean views.

We wanted to stay in Torquay, it is the heart of the surf coast. The only two campsites said no to dogs so we had to drive on! We carried onto a place called Lorne. We didnt mention we had a dog here, it was getting too late to keep driving to find somewhere. This place is gorgeous look at the pics!Kim bought a new tent for the occasion and I had fun watching her and Dan put it up - I was too busy holding Marney : )

As Kim unpacked the car she joked that there were only two chairs, one for her and one for Dan. We soon reminded her that she actually declined a chair while we were packing the car and that she would sit on a blanket with Marney : 0 something she was to regret for the rest of the trip.

We were sorted in no time and ended up chatting to a guy called Bart. He had the same tent as us putting it up alone. He was 40, Kiwi and a traveller of some 14 years. An annoying bloke who knows it all. Well Dan only invited him to dinner with us! It was too late to get the stove out. We went for a lovely dinner on the sea front and I saw an amazing moonlit sky. The photos dont do it justice. We had a few drinks and went back to the tent. We were all pretty tired from driving so a pretty early night was had by all after some vino and sparklers!! Dan and Bart stayed up a little longer to torment some Possoms. One ended up trying to bite Barts foot ; )

After being woken up with a coffee in a silver cup and saucer - check princess Kerry out! Dan made us bacon sandwiches and we packed up. Before we headed off we decided to take Zeus for a walk - well if they wanted to kick us out the campsite we didnt care now we were leaving - We walked over the bridge to the beach. Really stunning views. Rangers came over to us and presented Kim and Dan with a fine of $107.00 as dogs arent allowed on the beach, we all said it was karma for sneaking him into the campsite.

We drove to Apollo Bay next. We camped just outside and our site allowed pets. The weather had been stunning all the way here then clouds came in. We pitched up and then got back in the car to make our way to the Twelve Apostles. The next stop was Maits Rest Rainforest Walk. Its a 45 min walk through a rain forest in a cool temperature, which was great as by the time we arrived here it was clear skies and 40 degrees!! Located in the Otoway National Park. I really enjoyed walking here. You could hear loads of bees above you in the trees, obviously nesting way up high. That was all you could hear otherwise it was so still and quiet apart from a few rustle sounds under foot, I didnt hang around to find out what they were.

We continued amongst the stunnig views of the coastal road, heading more inland between Maits Rest and The Twelve Apostles.

Finally we arrived at The Twelve Apostles, something I have really wanted to see as part of this trip. The towering grandeur of the rock formation near Port Campbell has held a timeless fascination formed by the erosion of limestone headlands over thousands of years. They are the most photographed natural feature in Australia. In July 2005 one of the rock stacks in the foreground of my photos collapsed after succumbing to erosion. It was amazing and peaceful once you switched off from the hundreds of tourists.

We headed back to Apollo Bay to chill for the night. We had ice cream - the ice cream over hear is to die for. All handmade and so many flavours - 32 in this one shop!!

The weather wasnt up to much when we awoke on the sunday. We packed up and headed into town for a full english breakfast and the papers....bliss. After that we headed home. Looking at things we missed on the way. We stopped to look at a water fall. 300mtr walk up a steep narrow stoney path, a girl in front of us had stilettos and her gucci handbag - reminded me of when I was in Ireland with my friend Diane, she wore heels everywhere - even on walks in the hills : )The waterfall wasnt too hot but there hasnt been much rainfall so probably wouldnt be.

The next stop was random. We could see people out of their cars looking up in the trees so we decided to have a nose. There were Koalas in the trees we spotted 12. Apparently its very rare to see so many near the roadside. It was fun spotting them as they are so high up and blend in. It was at a place called Sausage Gully! It amused us.

Continuing on our journey we wanted to go and see the famous Bells Beach. A popular surf beach and its been used in many films, the most famous being Point Break with Patrick Swayze in itIt was really windy and only a few surfurs on the waves.

The last stop was Torquay. It was extreemly busy, well it was sunday and clear blue skies and a temp of 38 degrees!We had some icecream and headed off to the ferry port in Queenscliffe. We caught the ferry back to cut out some miles home. The sun was beaming and the coastline looked amazing. It topped the trip off for me. Dan drove all the way until Surrento bless him then Kim drove the lsat two hours.

It was an amazing trip and I enjoyed every minute. We had so much fun and laughter and it was fantastic to share it with great friends.

Tags: On the Road

 

About kezza30


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.