Existing Member?

lemonsquares

Catching a Moment - Permanent Sketch

PHILIPPINES | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [240] | Scholarship Entry

Four years ago, during my freshmen year I with some friends had the opportunity of spending a week in Japan for a grant. True enough the trip made me heels over head. Those years of being engulfed in the concept of the land of the rising sun and its immense diversity will finally be tangible memories that will go beyond my local encounters with the word "sakura" and "sushi", which in my country happens to be spam with rice rolled in nori.

After a five hour flight from my country, I found myself in Chitose City in the Hokkaido prefecture, the northern part of Japan. Smoke billowed from my breath as I stepped towards a vista of culture and amity. Fragile pink blossoms move to and fro the frigid wind engulfing my attention-giving off the smell of spring.

We were made to visit cultural and educational institutions that would make us acquainted with the Japanese customs and its people. It was settled that we must have an experience in the home of a Japanese family.

On our fifth day, clad in black sweater and a pink jacket, I met Mone-san and Nakamura-san, my host mom and sister. The meeting began with simple conversations such as where we wanted to go then it moved to deep insights about Chitose and its life.

Their home was simple. Picture frames hung on the wall, Mone-san's toys were scattered on the piano while yellow drawings of Pikachu are taped nearby. Nakamura-san finally called us for dinner and in front of us was a feast of shrimp tempura, fried asparagus and miso soup (which immediately became my favorite). After dinner, both our stomachs and hearts were full.

Next morning, we went to Saporro, a nearby city. There we came upon a little ramen shop situated between two large buildings. It was a bit odd. I wondered how this little shop stood out, until I tasted their ramen. Flavors exploded in my mouth, a push and pull of spicy and beefy broth accompanied rich noodles and smoky mushrooms. It was pure bliss.

We then came to the Historical Museum of Hokkaido, where the story of the Ainu people touched my heart and brought me to tears. As an indigenous group they fought long and hard to preserve their culture. Dewdrops formed in Nakamura-san's eyes, as she shared the struggle and journey of the Ainus.

The day finally ended with us being brought back to the hotel, hugs and business cards were exchanged as promises of seeing each other again were forged. I'll never forget the day I spent with the Nakamura's. The memory was short but it lasted forever.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About keziahhuelar


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.