Existing Member?

Differences breeds beauty

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [244] | Scholarship Entry

 

The dry, barren landscape of Nairobi seemed to extend out almost endlessly towards the horizon.  The view lacked color, infrastructure and life.  As the bus made its way to the Tala School of Kenya, our teacher recited a list of protocols we had to follow.  His speech seemed rehearsed, as he urged us to maintain perfect etiquette in order to uphold our school image.

 

The point of this trip was to step outside our comfort zone and to challenge ourselves in new, foreign environments, yet we are still bound to so many different constraints that limit our actions.  How do I step outside my comfort zone if I am constantly forced to work within the very same limitations as I do in a classroom?

 

Welcomed by the bare sun, we started off the day enduring the engulfing heat that seared the very pores of our skins.  It was awkward at first, because we didn’t know how to approach one another.  It felt as if both parties were intimidated by the cultural differences that separated us from one another. 

 

The notion of a simple idea that was shared between two different societies drew us closer to each other.  We wanted to know about their culture, as they did with ours.  We began to embrace and appreciate our differences.

 

The concept of differences has always been painted negatively in my mind, because it meant that we couldn’t fully understand one another.  It gave us an excuse to discriminate those who weren’t like us.  However, through meeting and interacting with these students I learnt a very valuable lesson; that differences are in fact opportunities for us to embrace our individuality, and that the concept of diversity is actually very beautiful.

 

The transition from my classroom to this ‘classroom’ that I depicted for myself showed that because I was too enticed inside my own little ‘bubble’, I became unaware of true beauty in this world.  

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About kevin_wong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.