Existing Member?

The Wanderlost Jotter

Finding 'Soulitude'

TURKEY | Wednesday, 20 May 2015 | Views [74] | Scholarship Entry

I was counting the last few hours to my flight back home. Ten days in Turkey just breezed away, and after soaking in the beautiful architecture, the smells and sounds, I just couldn’t get enough of Istanbul. I had crossed most things off my list, a major chunk taken up by the grand mosques and the palaces that dotted the skyline of the city. Yet, there seemed to be plenty left to do. And, time was running out. My mind was split between picking up souvenirs for people back home or visiting a quaint little mosque on the other side of town. My inner architect prevailed and I set off to see the first mosque in the world to be designed by a woman.

A kind friend had given me detailed instructions to reach there since it was situated off the tourist circuit. Without wasting a moment, I took the underwater metro to the Asian side of Istanbul, and then hopped onto a bus to Zeynep Kamil Hastanesi. It was easy to spot the glistening Sakirin Mosque, its unmistakable shape calling out, waiting to be explored.

As I made my way across the small courtyard, I realized that I had the whole place to myself. Covering my head with a scarf, I stepped inside. It was grand without being imposing. The light streaming in from the screens on three sides of the magnificent gold and turquoise mihrab added to its mystique. I walked up to the women’s section. It was spacious and brightly lit – unlike the ones found in other mosques. Huge crystal chandeliers reflected the streaming light, creating a play of light and shadow. I loved how the mosque merged tradition and modernity – much like the city it stood in.

I took out my camera to capture the lovely details, only to hastily put it back after one picture, afraid of the click disturbing the tranquility of the place. I sat there, enjoying my solitude, reflecting on my journey that was soon coming to an end, as people trickled in and out to offer their daily prayers. After catching up on the last (and probably only) few minutes of serenity on my trip, I was awakened by the ticking clock, now moving ever-so-fast, and I was engulfed once again by the metropolis as I rushed back. It was time to go home.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ketashah


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.