Existing Member?

wide eyed gaze

love at first sight

IRELAND | Monday, 21 April 2014 | Views [190] | Scholarship Entry

It was July 1, 2013. I had just spent the last two weeks training in Wisconsin and the time had finally come to board the flight for Northern Ireland / Ireland. As I said, "goodbye," to the humid, summer mid-west air, I stepped onto the plane surrendering all expectations, opening my heart and mind for all Northern Ireland / Ireland had to offer.

After several hours on board, my dear friend and seat mate whispered, "Kendra, look," as he pointed to the window. The shades of green filled my eyes and my heart became overwhelmed.

From a young age, I longed for Ireland. I bought books, watched films and spent hours of life daydreaming of the day I could finally set eyes on this magical country.

It was finally here. I could barely contain my giddiness in the final moments of the flight. I was at last going to breath the Irish air, experience Irish hospitality, gaze at the rolling green hills and create memories that would last a life time.

My team was there to volunteer, to work with young people and bring the hope of Jesus and I was thrilled to be a part of it. But I knew that Ireland would change me more than I would change it.

I stepped out of the airport and felt the cool air hit my skin. Though I was surrounded by airport signs, that was really all it took. I never believed in love at first sight, I didn't think it could happen, but this was it. I was madly, hopelessly in love. The humid-free air blew the hairs around my neck, my heart fluttered, I knew home would never feel like home again.

My team loaded the bus to go to our first location of Derry~Londonderry, Northern Ireland. My 29 teammates fell asleep, but I was wide eyed & gazing out the window. Taking in every sight, every wee round-a-bout, every small village. When we turned the corner and I first caught sight of Derry~Londonderry, my heart soared. I've always loved skylines and the view of a city over a river, but this was different. This was Northern Ireland. This was the place I'd dreamed of my whole life.

Over the next few weeks, my love for the country grew deep. From Derry~Londonderry and Portrush, Northern Ireland to Skerries and Dublin, Ireland, I knew leaving would the hardest thing I've ever had to face.

It was July 27, 2013. I landed at home, I laughed and hugged my much missed friends, but I knew it wasn't for long. I was in love and I couldn't stay away.

It was September 5, 2013, I took my bags and moved to Northern Ireland for a year and I haven't looked back.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kendrawheeler


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.