Existing Member?

One passport, one bag, one great adventure...

Visa Run Round 2 and Songkran!

THAILAND | Friday, 20 April 2012 | Views [636]

If you haven't guessed, my second visa run to malaysia was a success. I was able to get a 60 day tourist visa, which will take me to the end of my trip when I return at the beginning of June. I travelled with two of my fellow dive master trainees, on an over night boat and van to Pengang. From what I saw of the city it looked quite nice, but we barely spent 24 hours there before heading back to Koh Tao. While in Penang, we spoilt ourselves with western treat, the cinema, starbucks and pizza hut!

I have finally reached my 40 dives, which means I have been able to start assisting on courses. The second I reach my 40 I was out assisting my former instructor on an advances open water course and an open water course. Our open water ended yesterday morning, just in time for Songkran, Thai New Year.

In Thailand, New Years is celebrated with an all day water fight! Chaing Mai, is home to the worlds largest waterfight, as it lasts 7 days! In Koh Tao, Songkran is only celebrated for one day. When our longtail reached the shore after our dive, fell DMT, DMs and instructors were waiting for us with water guns, but we were also armed. It was an insane day! the Local runs around with water flour paste to rub on your faces. Ice water, however, is the best weapon!

I will not be posting as often as the first part of my trip. The Course takes up a lot of time, and it's a hassel carrying my laptop down to the town everytime I want to use it. The rest of the trip will almost be the same anyways... Diving, Diving and more Diving.

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.