Existing Member?

ADVENTURE IS WORTHWHILE IN ITSELF

Ghana, 2010

GHANA | Friday, 26 August 2011 | Views [271]

In October 2010, after backpacking around Europe for a few months, I went to Ghana to volunteer for just over 2 months. I’d always wanted to volunteer, but wasn’t sure where to start. After doing some research online, I found Projects Abroad. They were appealing because their national office is in Adelaide, my hometown. I went in one day and had a cup of tea and a chat with Will. He was really nice and told me about the wide range of volunteering options Projects Abroad offered.

At first I had no idea where I wanted to go, and in what area I wanted to volunteer. Will suggested I go on the web site and read some blog-type entries from past volunteers. Africa seemed appealing and from what the blogs said, Ghana seemed a safe and fun option. I was planning to start my bachelor of Development Studies the following year; I had thought I might do a double degree in Law. As I didn’t know much about law, or whether I had a passion in it (or enough drive to study it for so many years), I thought I might use my volunteering experience to figure it out. So I chose to part take in the Human Rights Program.

I really enjoyed my time at the Human Rights Office in Accra. The Office consisted of many Ghanaian workers and volunteers, who were split up into groups. I was placed in the Domestic Violence group which aimed to raise awareness in the community by going out and talking to school kids and community groups. I thought our presentations wouldn't be well received, but was happily surprised when they were by teachers, kids and the wider community groups. We tailored our presentations for our audience with role plays and posters; in the more rural communities we needed an interpreter, but most often not because we were in Accra the majority of the time where people’s English is better. Another challenge was the fact that I had little experience or confidence in public speaking, but this practice with the Human Rights Program has improved my public speaking abilities and the whole volunteering experience has done wonders for my confidence also.

I found that this was really good for me because I have no legal experience in practice or study. In fact, I've only started Uni this year. Although I found that lots of the stories the kids would tell us were really confronting you just have to be a little prepared in your mindset. If you do have legal experience, there are opportunities to help out at Legal Aid or other NGO's, but only a select few can do this so you have to express interest early.

I did a month of Human Rights and a month and a half of care at an orphanage and school which I absolutely loved. I helped get the kids ready for school, teach, change them, and help with their lunches and their homework. We also did lots of craft activities like drawing, painting, beading and sewing, things they wouldn’t usually be able to do due to lack of resources.

I really enjoyed the host families I stayed with. They were very hospitable and I enjoyed the different foods I was able to try. One of my favourite cultural experiences was attending church with them. I loved the way the service revolved around their love of music and amazing rhythm.  There were also other volunteers staying with my host family. As some where there before me, they were able to pass on their insight and a little bit of Twi, the local language.

And on top of that I got to travel on weekends to some great locations nearby. Towards the end of my stay I had an amazing 10 day experience travelling around Ghana with a few other volunteers.

But the highlight of my time spent with Projects Abroad in Ghana has been the people I met along the way. The Ghanaian people are friendly, warm, honest, charismatic, happy and caring. Not to mention the other volunteers I was lucky enough to live with and work with are people I hope to stay lifelong friends with. I was amazed to find that I had so much in common with these kids, who we from completely different nationalities and cultures to me. But the fact that we’ve shared this life changing experience with one another is the grounds for an amazing friendship.

Not only was it an once in a life time, eye opening experience, but I came home with the invaluable knowledge of what I want to pursue as a career, a question many kids my age are still struggling with. I am currently studying a Bachelor of Development Studies at Adelaide Uni and am loving it.

 

About kendalllouise


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.