Existing Member?

Costa Rica 2013

J W Marriott

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 19 June 2013 | Views [649]

My friend Emily goes to Costa Rica a lot and always posts pics from the JW Marriott and it always looks so gorgeous. When I decided to go to Guanacaste I definitely had to see if the Marriott would fit into my plans. I was so delighted when I realized it was so close to Playa Negra and Steve. Even better was the fact that I could book a room using hotel points.

I checked in at 1 pm and headed straight for the beach. Carlos, my new bartender, set me up with towels and beers and I enjoyed the sun for about two hours before it started raining. At that point I hung out at the bar with Carlos and practiced my Spanish. The rained stopped around 4 and I enjoyed lunch and then headed back to the beach to watch the sunset. It was a gorgeous sunset and made me wonder why I don't go  to the West coast more often.
 
I cleaned up and then headed to the lobby bar in time to get a great seat for the Spurs game. I wish I could say that the game ended as great in overtime. Despite the Spurs losing I talked to many people from the states, had some great sushi and wine, and enjoyed the evening.  I even ran into someone from Indianapolis that knows my friend Kelly Bird Crall. It really is a small world.
 
I crashed around 10 and was up again at the crack of dawn. I waited until around 7 to head to the pool. Since I was the first one there I got to pick the perfect spot - a chair by the infinity pool with a view of the ocean. Now I just had to wait for the bar to open. At 9 I spotted my amigo Carlos and he fixed me a piña colada. We both agreed with the fruit it was a perfect breakfast drinl. Sobreakfasting fact that I had another I had another while texting my Mom and making here fully jealous.
 
I enjoyed the pool and the sun and hung out until noon. The hotel had given me a 1pm late checkout and the shuttle to Tamarindo was at 2. I really did not want to leave the beautiful setting and the wonderful pool but I didn't have enough points to stay longer. While I waited for my shuttle I hung out with Carlos at the bar. I really really didn't want to leave but at least by the time I needed to catch my shuttle it was raining so that made it a little easier to leave.
 
At 12:50 I went to get my shuttle and talked to the bellboy to assist me get on the right bus. Unfortunately that didn't work out quite as planned. He apparently didn't understand me and I missed the shuttle. I had to wait 2 more hours so I headed back to the poolside grill for lunch. Emily had told me to get fish fajitas but they weren't on the menu so I went for the beef fajitas instead. It wasn't a bad way to wait out the time, especially since I really didn't want to leave but I think I mentioned that.
 
Next stop Tamarindo!

Tags: costa rica, kda

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.