Existing Member?

Pura Vida

My Pura Vida

COSTA RICA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [356] | Scholarship Entry

I looked over and realized that my friend Linda has disappeared under the water of the rapids. White water rafting was definitely a first for us and as soon as she flew out of the raft the boys in the front went to the left side of the boat to her rescue. All that weight to one side of the raft that was not safe from the bullying of the river caused it to lift my side into the air. Once we were done hitting rocks and being drowned by waves we managed to pull her onto the raft. She had bruises from hitting the jagged rocks, but my friend lived through day two. Costa Rica Ted was not feeling well after this. He was paler than a paleface and his blood pressure was nowhere near safe. Seriously, how could anyone imagine an experience so thrilling?

Ted was inadequate to continue, but made it to the breathtaking goal of the adventure. The waterfall is too beautiful for words to describe. I have seen many in pictures and movies, but to take it in as the water massages your shoulders and back is entirely different. Couples kissed under it as if it were a mistletoe and unknown friends came together to celebrate surviving the rapids. I appreciated nature like never before.

This trip began on a day just as any other. I had been with the same employer for three years. I walked into work and began my shift. I am a server and my coworker said that she needed a vacation and had been emailing a couch surfer in Costa Rica. This moment hit me as if I were a deer in headlights of an eighteen-wheeler. I agreed to go and we bought our tickets the next day. We bought tickets for four days. No plans, but many adventures to behold.

We arrived and took the Monkey Ride to where Ted lived. This house was self-designed in the passion of the heart and soul of Costa Rica. Local natives and the relaxation of central valley wilderness surrounded us. Every morning we walked three miles to a local restaurant for fresh breakfast where most of our organic meals came from the farm behind the kitchen.

The third day we went zip lining. We wanted to test our luck flying through the trees of the valley this time. The guides were professional and enjoyed hearing us scream. Especially, when we did it backwards. After, we went to a beach and enjoyed savory ceviche as we strolled along a raw and untouched forest. This beach had a peninsula. You could walk to the center of it, but had to be back along the shore before it completely flooded. I hope you can swim. We can.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About kencastell


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.