Existing Member?

Ripples in the Universe

Needles and Brand new bills

USA | Thursday, 30 July 2009 | Views [476]

Wednesday, July 29 and the pressure builds.  I was  enjoying the start of my 3rd sabbatical, 8 weeks of paid vacation earned after 7 years of employment, which began on Monday.  Sleeping in late, planning adventures and reading books, things were going well.  Life was good.  I was enjoying the lifestyle of the retired and non-working.

Decided to work on my upcoming Africa trip schedule.  I pulled the calendar and the trip itinerary and to my horror, I had less that 1 week and not the 2 weeks that I had thought.  They have that annoying habit of putting the last week of the previous month on the beginning of the next month. 

Friend Jim who years earlier had done a 6 month trek of the African continent overland too, was over for dinner.  "You must get the clean needles and the IV kit.  You don't let them put any of their needles in you.  You should bring about $1000 to $2000 with you.  You don't want to spend your only day in town getting money.  Make sure you get brand new bills.  No tears, writing, stamps or wrinkles, they won't accept them. Keep the money on you or in a safe."  The advice kept coming.  "You should bring Cloroceptic and Theraflu.  They have nothing like that where you are going.  If you get sick, it will come in handy."

Stop, I tell Jim.  I am already stressed and at this point all the advice is just adding to the stress level.  Jim and everyone else giving me advise are well meaning but enough is enough.

Need my final Hepatitis shot tommorrow, go to the bank for travellers check and new bill swap.  I still need to go to REI for needle kit and Fry's for plug adapter for 240V. 

Extra camera batteries arrived today so we can take pictures, xeroxed our passports and gave Ken copies of the insurance and itinerary.  Got Anne a waterproof jacket.  It is Winter in Africa right now.

Did I tell you I changed hotels for Nairobi.  The hotel recommended by Intrepid was clean and cheap, but not much.  I was concerned for our safety.  After searching the internet, I found the FAIRVIEW Hotel.  I have been sending them email, but I have not gotten the final confirmation. 

4 days to go. I am almost on my way.  Gulp.

Tags: africa

About kelvin486


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.