Existing Member?

The time- destortion effect of Madrid

A day in the city of happenings

SPAIN | Monday, 13 April 2015 | Views [174] | Scholarship Entry

Madrid is strange city.Extraordinary,big,crazy and in the same time relaxed and easygoing.
A sunny but chilly morning I was on the relaxed and easygoing mood.Headed out to have a "cafe con leche" in the nearby Plaza de Agustin Lara(locals mostly call it Plaza de Escuelas Pías) and planing to meet some friends later.So I sat in one of those metalic chairs, having my coffee and watching the people passing by or sitting somewhere around with their cd players listening to music or juggling.What a nice way to start your day!
My phone rang, I was up to meet my friends in Plaza Lavapiés to go for a "picnic" in Parque del Retiro, one of the best parks I've ever visited.So we arrive there,the 4 of us,we sit on the grass,eating the croissants and donuts we bought for our "picnic",chatting and feeling the sun on our faces.A couple of people come closer telling us they know us from the concert last night, already sat down with us sharing the excitiment for the event! Their friends arrive too,we are all hungry so we head to a traditional senegalese restaurant.On the road we meet more friends' friends,they love the restaurant we're going,so here we are, the 9 of us, ating and getting to know each other, in (my terrible)Spanish!
Too much food,we need a coffee! So we have one,take-away,on the way to an exhibition,hosting a new friend's friend,in Matadero. A really nice one, actually!We leave the place,the 10 of us,going to watch a movie in the beloved Cine Dore,again in Spanish! I must have missed quite much of it since I had a really different idea of the film from the rest!
Anyway, case closed!Let's have a beer!Walking the crowded street (calle) Argumosa we meet two more friends, and since we are too many to get in any of the tiny bars, we sit on the Plaza de Agustin Lara snacking on sunflower seed and talking until we are all too sleepy... So we say goodbye, we kiss each other all on the cheeks, as usual here, and head to home.
What a day!It was one of the best of my life! No plans, no looking at the watch, no hurry, no concerns! And yet so many things done, so many places visited!
I often think of that day and those people and I think I know now what I loved about Madrid. It's not the buildings, the roads, the food, the squares or the sunny days...It's all these together! And the people!That come as the best topping creating one of the greatest atmospheres,all in the city of Madrid.And I have that strong feeling that anything could happen there...

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About kellyb


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.