Existing Member?

Moments of magic in the wild wild west

A night in Williams AZ

USA | Friday, 22 May 2015 | Views [119] | Scholarship Entry

Driving the iconic route 66 features on many a bucket list and I have had the pleasure, at least in part. It was whilst cruising down this fabled road that I stumbled upon the town of Williams, Arizona. Nestled at the base of Bill William Mountain this 130 year old town, home to the Grand Canyon Railway, has made a true industry of its history.
I found myself in Williams on a weeknight at the height of the northern summer, not expecting much but a quiet night in a small country town. Boy was I mistaken. The town has the feel of an artisan community, bespoke jewelry stores and hand crafts line the main drag. Art decorates even the external walls of the buildings I passed. The town was, however, anything but sleepy, if anything there was a decided buzz in the air. Multiple restaurants and bars encompassing a range of cuisines line the street, ranging from the quirky to the elegant.
Parking up, locals call friendly greetings like they really are pleased to see tourists. Polite enquires about where I came from, where I am heading, what brings me here abound. When people realize I am staying overnight I get urged time and again to be sure I am out on Route 66, down by the crossroads, just before 7pm. No one will tell me why. This is reiterated upon checking into The Grand Canyon Hotel, a quaint, historically accented hotel on the main street.
As any seasoned traveler knows, if the locals tell you something has to be seen then you better be sure to see it. So, as 7pm approaches, I make my way to along Route 66 to where I see a crowd starting to gather. Mingling with other tourists I learn I am about to see a show. Historically minded locals have created a troupe, preforming nightly for the tourists, retelling the fables and legends of the town’s founder William “Old Bill” Williams. It is a fantastic show; period costumes, passionate performances and impeccable comedy all culminating in a gun fight! The show lasts about half an hour and provided opportunity to meet others travelling this area, resulting in finding awesome dinner companions for the evening.
We headed to Cruiser’s Route 66 Cafe, a retro style diner on the main street featuring a classic menu, soda fountain, varied alcohol list, live music on the patio and such stylistic decor that your sense swam just trying to take it in. Yes, it’s a wait for a table, but Yes, it,s absolutely worth it.
Williams is a true hidden gem, a joyful relic of the wild wild west and a must see on any trip to the Arizona.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About kelly_travelbug


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.