Existing Member?

Keith Austin: When the world is your lobster Stories from a former Travel Editor of the Sydney Morning Herald.

Be careful, Frodo

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 28 March 2009 | Views [906]

Having just finished watching the three Lord of the Rings movies again it’s a good time to mention that The Ring Bearers of Paris continue to ply their wares. Every time we go anywhere near The Louvre there will be two or three of these women – seemingly from eastern Europe - coming up to us and pretending to ‘find’ a gold ring on the floor. It’s a scam, of course. The idea is that they ‘give’ you the shiny gold ring – they can’t take it as they are divorced and it would be bad luck for them – and you give them a few euros as a thank you.

God knows how they make a living out of it; we have seen nobody fall for it yet but there they are, day in, day out. One day we watched one of them do the ‘full monty’ on one guy who seemed about to fall for it but slipped off the hook at the last moment. The Ring Bearer herself saw us watching and laughing and ever so effortlessly flipped us the finger. Of course it could be Bulgarian for Have A Nice Day.

Popsi’s brother Paddy took a few pics of the Ring Bearers in action. Have a squizz.

Oh, another thing! For the journos among us; your press card will get you in free to most government-run museums in Paris. I’ve used mine at the Musee d’Orsay, the towers of Notre Dame and, most exciting of all, several times at the Louvre.

Tags: louvre, musee dorsay, notre dame, paris, ring bearers

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.