Existing Member?

Keith Austin: When the world is your lobster Stories from a former Travel Editor of the Sydney Morning Herald.

Pictures of Paris ... or not

FRANCE | Friday, 20 February 2009 | Views [717] | Comments [3]

No sooner had we touched down in Paris than a medical emergency at home necessitated a quick trip to London.  And quick it was; the Eurostar train takes just over two hours to speed from the Gare du Nord to Kings Cross St Pancras. Central Paris to Central London in the time it takes to get really stuck into a good book. And all for 88 Euro – though it can drop lower depending on days and time of day.

Anyway, here’s the strange thing about Paris – it’s seemingly impossible to take pictures of the place. After coming over all snap-happy in Venice we walk around Paris unable to point-and-shoot anything (see pics, and the lack thereof).

I mentioned this to an Argentinian photographer I met the other day and he agreed; as soon as you raise the camera and look through the viewfinder you think ‘it’s been done before’. Is Paris the world’s most photographed city and, therefore, the world’s most unphotographable city?

Perhaps it’s the time of year - the days are a little grey and drizzly – but then it was like that in Venice, too. Perhaps it’s the colours; Parisienne buildings aren’t known for their vibrant colour schemes. Grey skies and grey buildings leave oneself and the pictures all feeling very flat.

A dilemma indeed, and a challenge.

Tags: eurostar, paris, photographs

Comments

1

Thats just cause you're not a skilled photographer, like some people

  Cal Feb 22, 2009 1:16 AM

2

Not wishing to complain but ... er.... what have you done with la bubblehead?

  Popsifan Feb 22, 2009 4:28 AM

3

bring back Popsi!!

  Aido Feb 25, 2009 11:32 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.