Existing Member?

Keith Austin: When the world is your lobster Stories from a former Travel Editor of the Sydney Morning Herald.

Who Let The Doges Out?

ITALY | Wednesday, 28 January 2009 | Views [1157] | Comments [1]

The good burghers of Venice have got their work cut out. Having rid themselves of the Doges many years ago (though being a doge wasn't all it was cracked up to be, as we found out on a tour of the Doges' Palace) they are now battling the dogs of Venice.

Venice being as picturesque as it is, one tends to walk around gasping at yet another stunning view, another amazing photo opportunity ... until you step right in it. Yes, the MANY dog owners of Venice have a habit of letting little Robinho or Kaka or Rex do their business where ever they like.

It must be bad because the authorities have started a poster campaign which, over a picture of a dog (see pics), says: Tieni pulita la citta! Which, roughly translated, means 'stop polluting the city!'

Interestingly, not far from this particular set of posters was another terrific poster having a dig at people who wear fur. This says 'solo un mostro puo indossare una pelliccia' (again, check out the pic). It says something along the lines of 'only a monster would wear a fur.'

And yet there are so many of them in the city! Furs, that is, not monsters. Everywhere you go there is some old biddy wearing a fur coat.

The worst ones, of course, are the ones in fur coats whose dogs are shitting in the street. I can't wait for THAT poster...

Curiously, many of the dogs are wearing coats. We even met one old dear who was not only happy for Popsi to take a pic of her pooch (she has become somewhat obsessed with them) but also revealed that the dog has a special Santa outfit for Christmas.

Venice, meanwhile, continues to amaze. As does Popsi, who seems to think that putting an 'o' or an 'etto' at the end of everything means she is speaking Italian.

I have just, for instance, been informed that the driperetto (rain) has stopped so we can go out-o to visit-o the Accademia and the Guggenheim.

Four days left in this most amazing of cities and we've still got to fit in The Lido, the Jewish Quarter and the world's first ghetto, go up the Campanile and visit the Murano glassworks island - responsible, if the tourist tat shops are anything to go by, for some of the most egregious offences to the artistic eye (see pics).

Tags: doges, dogs, fur, keith austin, murano, popsi bubblehead, posters., venice

Comments

1

I love this guy - he's hysterical. Keep em coming Keith - all the best - Bob

  Bob Branden Jan 30, 2009 5:58 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.