Existing Member?

The Legend of Gili Air

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 9 April 2012 | Views [227] | Scholarship Entry

If you are in too much of a hurry, you may just miss Bulan Madu Beach – Honeymoon Beach. You can dine on the beach. We were lucky to be allowed to dine there as they had actually closed the section. As the name suggests, our casual dinner was turning out to be a very romantic evening with love songs being sung in the background by the waiter on his guitar. After dinner, he came to talk with us and sing for us. As the staff finished work, more came to join us in the serenading and laughter. The singing waiter's duet partner, the lady chef, spoke mandarin. In the pursuit of money, she had gone to Taiwan to work as a domestic helper. She spoke of the ill treatment she endured for two years. In between songs we spoke of life and money. Out of nowhere, a little kitten jumped up onto the bench I was sitting and ate my bowl of popcorn. It seems the kitten had not eaten for many days. After eating its fill, the kitten laid beside me and fell asleep. The lady chef said that cats can sense people with good hearts. She looked straight in my eyes and told me that I have a very good heart. I smiled and thanked her. She continued to impress upon me that what she was saying was the truth. Her insistence puzzled me and I must say, made me quite uncomfortable. I could only smile. What do you say to something like that? Then she said, I’m not lying to you, your heart is pure. It was my turn to look her in the eye. She smiled at me ever so kindly then started on another emotion filled love song. To prevent the brimming tears from falling, I looked up and to my amazement the full moon was in its full glory shining down from directly above me. I took a deep breath in and closed my eyes. The fresh scent of the ocean filled my entire being and relaxed me. I could feel my bare skin being tickled by the cool night breeze. My ears were filled with the sounds of passion from the singing. I opened my eyes and relished every single moment. The first thought that came to me was, I am so lucky.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About kechilmel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.