Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad Lima, Peru

January 4th, 2011

PERU | Tuesday, 4 January 2011 | Views [190]

The first actual week of work has begun. Yesterday, the volunteers and I went to an orphanage called San Antonio. I was able to work with the little ones. I’m hoping that next week I’ll be able to work with the older children. Work the young toddlers was fun. We played with them, fed them, and watched over them.

When the volunteers and I arrived to work with the toddlers, we were asked to help the staff with watching over the children in the park. Walking to the park was a breeze. All the children held each other’s hands and they were essentially a human train. But once we got to the park, oh my goodness gracious. The children were running everywhere in the little park. It was kind of hectic but very fun. One little boy just wanted to stay with me and hold my hand. It was adorable. We sang songs and played games in the park.

After that, everyone walked back to the orphanage where the volunteers and I helped the children get ready for lunch. While everyone sat and waited for lunch, I talked with three older girls who seemed to be around 6 years old. They were touching me a lot and honestly, I felt uncomfortable. One girl pinched my cheek and two others started to run around me. I was annoyed so I just left to the baby side. Here, I was asked to feed a little boy who fell asleep. He was dreaming plenty of sweet dreams that he did not even want to wake up. It was adorable. When he did wake up, he was grumpy and did not want me to feed him.

When lunch was over, it was naptime. I helped the babies get ready for nap. A little toddler with Down syndrome held onto both my hands and he just sat and stared at me while caressing my hands. It was an amazing feeling. He just radiated love and peace. I was so grateful to experience that rush of feelings. I wanted to cry.

Naptime for the children meant home time for the volunteers. When the volunteers and I got home, we had lunch and then we rested a bit before we went to the Incan market. I bought so many things at the Incan market, but my favorite thing of all is this one painting of a Native Peruvian child. It is just beautiful and intense. Love it!

Dinnertime came and later that night I was able to meet Lidia (the woman in charge); amazing woman, really. She’s both spirited and kind.

As for today, it was an ultra long day. I am very tired. In the morning, the volunteers and I left for Pachacutec. It was quite a long drive down to Pachacutec, so I fell asleep most of the way. When we got there, I saw that the houses were built on sand and the neighborhoods were very poor. The new volunteers and I left to the Wa Wa Wasis which houses orphaned babies. The babies are so cute! One baby in the third Wa Wa Wasi that we visited kept hugging me and holding onto me. It was a great feeling. Then he took my hand and led me to one corner of the Wa Wa Wasi and wanted me to write with him. He took out all these duck stencils and we started to trace ducks (made me think of someone who likes ducks very much :). After that the volunteers and I walked back to the church and I played a little volleyball with the children and some of the volunteers. My arms got so red. Then everyone gathered inside the church for introductions. It was time to go home afterwards.

At home, after lunch, the volunteers and I went down to La Punta to make bracelets with the girls. Man was I terrible with that. I could not manage to make a decent looking bracelet. It was hard! The rest of the volunteers and the girls made beautiful bracelets. It was wonderful to see how happy the girls were to know that so many people care about them.

Later that night, after dinner, I went to the Totto’s Market and another store that I completely forgot the name of. I only needed some shampoo, detergent, a hat, and facial cleansers, but man it took forever! The cashiers here take their time scanning things (-___-). Right now it is 11:39pm over here, so I need to go to bed. Tomorrow will be another long day so I better rest up well. Goodnight! :)

About kdieu


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.