Existing Member?

Photo Journal

Carnavan Gorge, QLD

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 5 November 2011 | Views [826]

 

Carnavon Gorge.

 

I wanted to take my boys on an adventure for Easter and Carnavon Gorge, some 200 kms north of Roma in Queensland appealed to me. I booked well in advance knowing Easter would be busier than usual and headed west from Brisbane on Good Friday morning. Being the only driver I had intended to drive only as far as Roma, stay overnight and continue north on the Saturday. The drive went so well we made it through by mid afternoon.

 

I called ahead to the camp ground to ensure we could come one night earlier and we apparently managed to secure the last spot for that night. The 6 hour drive was not without preparation. I had been sure to include plenty of entertainment including books, CDs and games both on paper and verbal. The verbal games were also to ensure I stayed alert whilst driving.

 

Upon arrival and an urgent bathroom visit we proceeded to set up our tent and camping area with all equipment in tact and not one peg too short. We headed out around the camp ground to check out the facilities. It was perfect. A large outdoor cooking area with plenty of BBQ’s and eating benches, the compulsory playground for the kids, a creek with platypus and a communal camp fire surrounded by sitting logs. Perfect!

 

I had all our meals planned and all the food survived the trip and the weekend except the Easter eggs which were suitably flattened en route. Chocolate still tastes like chocolate round or flat.

 

On Saturday we went exploring and started off our walk to the Hanging Gardens. This was a 1.5 km walk so quite manageable for the boys at 3 and 6 years old. Being a gorge the walking tracks are all very flat as you meander your way between the rock walls of the gorge. After the first stop we continued on to another spot one more kilometre away. The boys were still going strong. During a stop for morning tea including the compulsory chocolate for energy (and moral support for me), I persuaded (bribed) the boys to continue to the ‘Art Gallery’. This was six kilometres into the gorge and housed an interesting array of Aboriginal paintings on the wall under an overhang. The bribe was for my youngest and that was that if he walked all the way there I would piggy-back him back to the start. After asking numerous times along the way if we were there yet and could we go back, we made it, hot and sweaty to the gallery.

 

The boys, and I were suitably impressed with the art and enjoyed the surrounds of the Australian bush during lunch. Keeping my promise I had to piggy back my youngest all the way back to the car park. Six kilometres. I was grateful it was flat. Years of backpacking through various countries with a heavy backpack must have prepared me somewhat for this haul. Most people we passed commented on my dedication with one passerby saying he wouldn’t complain anymore about his day pack he had to carry.

 

I was impressed with my 6 year old having walked 12 kilometres by the end. Ice-creams all round on our return!

 

Our evenings were spent cooking dinner on the BBQs provided at the campground and staring into the camp fire that resembled a small bush fire at times with the amount of wood being thrown onto it. We did unfortunately have a small accident with my older boy falling and hitting his top teeth onto a log. Lots of blood and tears later we were back enjoying ourselves and roasting marshmallows in the heat of the fire. Especially when travelling with children it is so important to be prepared for absolutely anything. Having travelled rather extensively on my own previously I would just put up with a blister or a small cut but with children you have to have the right equipment handy for any possibility.

 

Platypus spotting was on our agenda for this trip and the reason I chose this particular campground to stay in. The creek running along the grounds is home to the elusive platypus. The requirement at the viewing area was total silence. Unfortunately we were only able to stay a few minutes as total silence is difficult to maintain at three years old. Hence no successful platypus spotting for us.

 

Our last full day was spent exploring some of the closer places to our camp. We found  a very narrow gorge to explore. We all enjoyed the challenge of not getting our feet wet by walking along fallen logs and rock hopping our way through to the dark end of the gorge only to arrive to a point where the gorge was so narrow the water filled up all flat areas. We had to succumb and get wet feet and shoes.

 

Another successful trip with the boys although the drive was quite long on the return it was quiet with two exhausted children snoozing in the back seat.

 

 

Tags: carnavan gorge, children, queensland

About kazhof


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.