Existing Member?

housesit adventure 2010

2 March 2010-Trip to Jaco to buy a car

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 10 March 2010 | Views [681]

We carch the 8.30am bus to Santa Cruz-via Viente siete de Abril/Juaquillal.We board firstly dusty our seats.Sill me wore a black dress,windows are open for ventialtion as there is no AC.By car the trip usually takes 45mins ,today two and a half hours.When we get off our butts are sore from the plastic seats(no Padding)and poor suspension on the corrugated dirt(dusty) roads.We had considerd going to the bank until we saw the local ticos lined up from the front door of Banco National around the whole block.We reconsidered and found a bakery and some fresh ccaramel donuts for our next bus trip to Liberia.Ticos are very friendly,few speak much English(no hablar englise)so helpfula nad polite.We wait half an hour and bus to Liberia arrives,a bus conductor gets on half way through journey to check everyones tickets.Dave realises the driver has short changed him.So when we get off he confronts him and he knows he ripped us off.Just principle Dave says ,he will try it on every tourist,as the driver returns the correct change.The Avis office is near the airport at Liberia(closest place to hire a car to Playa Negra-as roads so bad there no one wants their cars ruined-understandably!)We hire a Mitsubishi Lancer for the trip $55 a day with Insurance,a good deal!Adobe made us have a 3 day minimum hire?Jaco is 3 hours north in the Punteranas Provence,a beautiful lush area.Andre is waiting for our call,and we test drive the car and agree on a price.Only hassle is ATM's want let us take more than $1000AUD a day,nigtmare.We have to stay over night,meet with Sylvia a lawyer to purchase vehicle legally $280 USD .Wednesday afternnon we are heade back to Playa Negra with our new vehicle.Such a hassle but a good experience !

Tags: andre ruoff(car owner)dave & carlos(mechanic) jaco

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.