Existing Member?

Kazakh Nomads discovering US

Switzerland of Kazakhstan

KAZAKHSTAN | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [117] | Scholarship Entry

In the north of Kazakhstan, between the cities of Astana and Kokshetau, is an interesting piece of nature, a real oasis in a sea of ??sand - Borovoye. Geographically this nook is called Kokshetau elevation, and local guidebooks call it no more and no less - "Switzerland of Kazakhstan". Wooded hills occupy an area no more than 20 kilometers to 20. On all sides this wonderful piece of nature surrounded by endless steppes. Mountains rise up a strong wall over the steppe, and are somewhat similar to the crater of the volcano, within which full of life while as around - a lifeless desert.
The Hog about 7 Lakes, four of which are quite large, and the rest - do not exceed the size of one square kilometer.
Station - a completely new and modern, but the actual gate in Borovoye, the town of Shchuchye - more than a provincial town.
In the town are several hotels of different levels, of which stands a brand-new brick hotel, whose name I have forgotten. Judging by the limousines parked there - this place was chosen by the local bohemians. We even had not had the idea to go and interested in prices in the institution.
The best option - to settle in the private sector. In the main square Borovoy, is also the bus station and the place of evening festivities citizens, you will meet a crowd of locals who give rent their homes.
In the center of town is a recreation center - namely, a great variety of restaurants of Kazakh and Uighur cuisine and a movie theater turned into a disco at night and a mini-market in the afternoon. Food is offered almost everywhere is the same. The choice is great and picturesque. You can use as a standard menu or make special order for specific dishes of Kazakh cuisine. Prices of small differ from each other and are about $ 2-3 per person, for a nice dinner with a full range of accompanying dishes.
Just three minutes walk from the center, splashing water lake, there is - quite a decent beach with great views of mountain peaks, on the opposite shore. Water - crystal clear and if not for the temperature (no more than 15 degrees), we would definitely swim. According to local residents, the swimming season this year has moved to July due to inclement weather.
The next two days we spent hiking excursions. Borovoe - amazingly photogenic and virtually anywhere in the open quite stunning views! At the same time, a place so compact that almost all of its attractions are within easy reach for the backpacker.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About kazakhnomads2


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kazakhstan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.