Existing Member?

unplanned adventure

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [186] | Scholarship Entry

A week after my graduation, I decided to go to Jogjakarta. I had an aunt there so I could stay at her house for a week, so I didn't have to worry about shelter and food. Estimating my budget, I only brought IDR 250.000 (USD 27.7), enough to buy return economic class ticket and to travel by public transport. I started from Kiara Condong train station, it was full of people -- mercenaries and students especially in a weekend evening -- a line of people already queuing in front of the ticket counter. The train scheduled only once a day at 8.45 pm with ticket price IDR 26.000 (USD 3.00). The distance between Bandung to Jogjakarta is about 447 km, it took about 10 hours by economic class train that has no air condition, not even a fan. As predicted, people started to push inside the train to save seats that were made from plastic fiber and very uncomfortable. If there’s no seat left, the unlucky passenger has to seat at the train’s floor -- usually use a piece of newspaper as covering. Although it’s full, it didn’t stop the food vendors from selling their food, such as chicken rice or light snacks,but I won't recommend any of those foods. Inside the train I heard a guy who sat beside me said to his friend something about Jogjakarta. When I heard that they were going to Jogjakarta too, I thought it would be fun if I could tag along because I didn't have any companion. I asked them but they said they won't be long because they'll continue to take another train to go to Bali. I always wanted to go to Bali with train but I never had the chance, so I asked them straight away if I can tag along with them and they didn't seem troubled, because none of them (there were 3 guys) had been to Bali before. Then I remembered a senior who worked there so I assume I could stay at his place. I wasn't interested to explore Bali, I just wanted to know the exact expenses and transportations I should use to go there with minimal price.
I met them the next day in Lempuyangan Station at 7 am. The destination was Banyuwangi Station, and the train scheduled only at 7.30 am with ticket price IDR 32.000 (USD 3.55) for economic class, the distance from Jogjakarta to Banyuwangi was about 619 km and it took about 14 hours. It was a daytime trip so the view was quite nice, rice paddies field dominating most of the view.
When we arrived at Banyuwangi we asked a guy who was a Balinese how to get to the harbor and how to go to Kuta. So we walked together to the harbor, bought the ticket for IDR 5.800 (USD 0.65) then off to the ship. It took about an hour to cross to Bali in clear weather.
It was already near midnight when we arrived at Gilimanuk Harbor. After ID check, we walked to the bus station and go to Terminal Ubung, Denpasar by bus that didn't look really strong nor save and it was full of passengers. It took about 3 hours and the road was on the edge of the cliff. When we arrived at Ubung we took public transportation to go to Kuta for IDR 20.000 (USD 2.22). I spent three days in Bali, but didn't go anywhere because I ran out of money. Luckily my friend from Jakarta who came to Bali willing to lend me some money so I could take bus to return home, well at least to Jogjakarta.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About kayisnotfiction


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.