Existing Member?

Postcards From the Edge "Tell me. What do you plan to do with this one wild and precious life?" ~ Mary Oliver

Life at Gobind Sadan Ashram

INDIA | Monday, 20 May 2013 | Views [558] | Comments [1]

The heat is crazy here. I have forgotten what heat like this feels like. It's been a while. I have two fans in my room and a swamp cooler that sucks in air from the outside and cools it off with water, so it's not too bad when I'm inside. Although at night it's a little ridiculous. The heat from the day gets trapped inside and I can either turn on the fans and swirl around the hot air, or turn on the swamp cooler and have cool air, but be subjected to everyone's fire smoke that comes in through the cooler from the villages near by. After two nights, I've decided that the smokey air is not an option, so...I sleep with the hot circulating air. It's not so bad once you get used to it.
The ashram itself is very peaceful. It is certainly a pace of life that I enjoy...slow and purposeful. The meals are very simple but very delicious. Usually rice and some variation of dahl (cooked lentils and spices) or some kind of bean dish. Chapti is always on the table (wheat pancake type bread) and it just may get the best of me! I like it very much:)
I've been participating in a lot of the events here. The tending of the sacred fire, the chanting of various sacred texts in Punjabi, and the prayer ceremonies that involve many Indian families who live at the ashram, as well as villagers from nearby. Everyone is very kind and the children are unbelievably cute! The pace of the day leaves a lot of time for meditation, yoga, and napping! I've also started giving English lessons to two girls from Northern India who are staying here while on break from their college studies. It took them three days to travel by bus and train from Ladakh, where they live, to the college where they're studying economics, not too far from here. Although their native language is Ladakh, it is compulsory for them to study English, Hindi, and Sanskrit, along with the other classes they'll take for economics. Amazing! I wish I knew that many languages! So the three of us have become friends....them showing me the ropes, and me, helping to improve their English, as well as teaching an occasional yoga class.
Despite the heat, I really enjoy wearing the modest, traditional Indian clothing that the women wear, consisting of long, light-weight pants and a long sleeve, light-weight top that extends down to the knees. I have chosen to wear all white, which I also enjoy. It seems to "suit" me:D
Stray cats and dogs run about keeping guard of the place, and groups or gaggles or flocks -not really sure- of peacocks flap around calling to each other from the trees. They sound strangely like yowling cats!
I am slowly adjusting, and while I'm enjoying my time here, I'm also looking forward to working with the girls at the orphanage in a couple of weeks.
An internet connection is not so easy to get a hold of around here, so I'll be in touch when I can!

 

Comments

1

Nice to read you experience, I have been there too. Its a nice and has strong spiritual energy and vibrations. Its good you are getting used to the environment and talking part in the duties. You are feeling more hot because of the summers, else in other seasons its quite nice weather out there. will love to hear more from your experiences at the precious Gobind Sadan Ashram.

  winny May 23, 2013 9:51 AM

About katyleigh8


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.