Existing Member?

On our travels.....

The safari

TANZANIA | Monday, 18 July 2011 | Views [468] | Comments [1]

Well it’s been a very busy few days.  It’s now Sunday and I only have 4 days left.  It’s been a fantastic experience but I have to admit I am looking forward to getting home, and particularly looking forward to a hot shower, flat sausage and reliable electricity.  I will never complain about my electricity bill again as long as the light just keeps switching on. 

Wednesday night we went to a restaurant in Shanty Town, contrary to what you might think this is the wealthy area where all the western doctors live.  The houses are unbelievable and it’s hard to believe this all sits just on the outskirts of Moshi.  The environment is quite different.  The restaurant was Indian and fantastic.  But all these places are priced completely out of the reach of locals and are almost entirely frequented by either tourists or local white people.  There is also a huge international school in Shanty town where all the expats send their kids and again it is like a little bit of the UK dropped into the middle of Africa.

I was picked up at 6am on Thursday morning for my 2 day safari.  It was incredible.  We went to Tarangire National Park which is about 200km from Moshi and then to Ngorongoro crater.  Tarangire was much better than I had anticipated.  Most people who have the time head for the Serengeti so I was trying to keep my expectations low but there was no need.  The park itself was amazing although it was very hot and at times there were a lot of flies, but there were hundreds of animals.  The highlight was the elephants which we managed to get really close too, and then a lioness and her cubs (although the cubs were a little far away to get a good picture).  We also saw hundreds of zebra, giraffes, wildebeest, impala and plenty of monkeys.  The other thing I found incredible here was the trees.  As you all know I am not particularly a nature lover but I can appreciate beauty when I see it and the trees in the parks are magnificent. 

That evening I stayed in a lodge in a place called Karatu.  We had a bit of a false start as there was no water in my room but it all turned out for the best as I was quickly upgraded.  It was lovely and they served a very hearty british meal of lentil soup to start and roast pork and roast potatoes for mains.  Between the meal and the hot shower I was in heaven.

We started out the next morning at 7am for the crater.  Everyone locally talks a lot about the crater and how amazing it is but you really have to see it to believe it.  It was formed 2 and a half million years ago when, in short, a volcano imploded in on itself.  In the morning it was very foggy as the crater sits at a reasonably high altitude.  I realised later in the day that this fog saved me a lot of anxiety in the morning because in the clear of the afternoon the steep and windy roads become a little scary.  I had imagined it to be a crater in the ground not unlike something an asteroid would leave behind but as it was formed from a volcano you actually have to climb the outside of the crater and drive along the rim (and I mean rim) before descending in.  The roads are just mud tracks but like I say we were on the journey home before I realised all this thankfully.  As we climbed the inside of the crater I was repeating in my head “the tour guides do this all the time… the tour guides do this all the time”. 

But it is all worth it.  Inside the crater is a little microcosm of life.  It is completely flat and has little vegetation but has a huge concentration of animals.  The absolute highlight was a beautiful female cheetah just lying by the side of the road; completely uninterested in the people staring and taking pictures from their car.  We also saw, to my amazement, 2 black rhino.  There are now only 25 left in the crater and about 100 in Tanzania as they were badly affected by poaching.  I couldn’t get great pictures of these (mental note – if every coming back buy one of those huge wide lens SLR things that people walk around with) so you’ll just have to believe me that it was an amazing sight.  We saw a large hippo out of the water and she really did look like a cartoon character, saw lots of hyenas (including cubs), a bull elephant, gazelles, lots of baboons and again hundreds of zebras and wildebeest.

We then had a very long 5 hour drive back to Moshi.

Having missed a couple of days in the office I went in on Saturday morning.  We have hired a new Finance Manager for them so at least the interviews we did turned out to be a success.  The new person came in for me to train her on the reports we have been preparing over the last couple of weeks.  She is a really nice woman from Soweto so I’m really pleased how this worked out.  I then had lunch with the CEO and Director of Operations from the UK to go through the numbers and talk about what we’ve been doing.  There is a GREAT coffee shop we have discovered – I swear the chips taste just like the ones gran use to make on the stove! 

Went out on the town in Moshi last night.  Figured I had to do it at least once before I left.  The guys from the UK came into town and we went to a place called Alberto’s.  It has a mixed crowd although is predominantly locals.  I came home around midnight and left the guys to it – they were off to a place called LaLigas which is basically the only club in town.

So, it’s now Sunday.  I’m having a lazy day.  I’ve learnt my lesson about going out on Sundays – the street sellers outnumber me to a great extent on a Sunday so it’s best to steer clear. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week x

Comments

1

So glad you had a wonderful time and saw all these animals. Glad you saw the rhino. I still have this memory of Maureen on a visit to Kenya when we came up close to a rhino. She started yelling and screaming that we were too close and immediately the Rhino turned its head in our direction, while I tried to tell her that they were almost blind and reacted to noise and often charged the source of the noise. You got much closer to a cheetah than we ever did in 5 years. Entering the Ngorogoro Crater must have been like entering a lost world. I hope your Uk guys got home safely from the night club! It seems bitterly ironic that they should call the rich White area Shanty Town. Have thy named the poor black areas Bearsden and Newton Mearns?
We have nearly had as good luck as you. We have seen loads of bald eagles. They obviously think I am a kindred spirit. Black bear are common but moose are evasive. We saw hump back whales coming down the inner passage but no orcas. Looking forward to seeing you. We will remove all the bulbs from your room and disable the sockets so you can acclimatise gradually.
Dad

  Gerry Kelley Jul 21, 2011 3:13 PM

About katkelley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.