Existing Member?

On our travels.....

I made it

TANZANIA | Friday, 1 July 2011 | Views [295] | Comments [2]

…so I finally made it… 2 days late, after driving from Glasgow to Heathrow and getting delayed in Amsterdam I am here!  Arrived in Tanzania last night and was greeted with a warm welcome and a comfy bed so I am almost fully recovered.

Not much to update you on today.  I was so harassed this morning trying to remember all the different pills and creams and sprays to put on that I forgot to change out of my flip flops into my newly purchased walking shows (yes I now own sensible shoes!).  I quickly realised it’s not a good idea to go out in these not so much because of the terrain as the dust, I was not a pretty sight by the time I made it to the office.  Went out for lunch to a local restaurant and had cooked banana with beef – interesting is the only word I will use to describe this at the moment, maybe I will warm to it over the next few weeks.  The office where Childreach is based is open 9 til 5 and (unlike some places we all know well) this really is the hours that people work. 

Not sure what the plans are for the next few weeks but am planning to head out exploring this weekend so I’ll keep you posted.  For now, my biggest concern is where I am going to watch the tennis tomorrow – C’MON ANDY!

Day 2

So the electricity is off today.  Apparently this happens every Tuesday and Friday at the moment....  Only the businesses with their own generators can keep working on these days. 


I found my way to the office this morning.  The streets are filled with people selling things so its a bit like running the gauntlet.  I hadn't seen many tourists about but went to a place for lunch called indoitaliano and it appears this is where they all hang out.  I should have known really because it was recommended in the lonely planet.

I've booked a night in a lodge outside the town for Saturday night from where you can go walks around the lower kilimanjaro area so hopefully I should get some pretty good pictures to post.  I haven't got many of Moshi yet because walking around with a camera makes me feel like such a tourist (although the girls in the office assure me that my skin gives me away anyway!).

Looks like I won't be watching the tennis since there is no electricity so I expect you all to be cheering extra loud for me :)

Miss you all - any gossip you feel like sending my way is much appreciated!

Comments

1

Hello!
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news ... but if you haven't heard Nadal beat Murray 5-7, 6-2, 6-2, 6-4.
I wish I had some decent gossip for you, but unfortunately it's been pretty quiet on the western front (except for the usual crazy hours and general disorganisation around the transition), I am missing my weekday drinking buddy though.
Have a great weekend, explore and take lots of photos (the girls are right, you look like a total tourist even without the camera anyway) and be sure to give us all an update next week.

  Beth Jul 2, 2011 2:56 PM

2

Kate was very depressed about Murray. She hasn't got over it yet but she did try to convince two indifferent young Englishmen on the train to London that he was only 24 and had plenty time yet. We had separate seats on the flight to Vancouver - 16 rows apart - maybe this was a good thing after Murrays defeat. The plane was full and I tried not to gloat. Some people had paid £600 in the flight sale and thought they had got a bargain (as opposed to our £250). The young man beside Kate had paid £750 a few days ago. Suffering from jet lag at the moment and sitting up at 4am typing this. Yesterday we managed to keep ourselves awake for 24 hours but succumbed to sleep at 8pm. Vancouver is fantastic. We had to get changed into shorts right away as it was so hot yet all the mountains in the background are snow capped. It is more like Perth than Sydney as it feels very laid back and not particularly crowded. I am going to try to put my photos on facebook as we go along. Does mt Kilimanjaro look magnificent - the highest free standing mountain in the world. Maybe I will climb it if I can get myself fit enough. Kate is aking if you did the African church experience? I hope your week at work is satisfying and the electricity does not go off. If you don't fully feel the value of what you are doing here is a puzzle for you. Who did most to alleviate poverty in Africa last year? Was it Oxfam, Save the Children, UNICEF or Vodaphone? And the answer is- yes you guessed it - can you explain it? VODAPHONE!

  Gerry and Kate Jul 3, 2011 10:42 PM

About katkelley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.