Existing Member?

A few moments in a lifetime

An encounter in the sun

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [544]

My eyes are closed, heavy; weighed down by the sun pressing down and leaking in. It embraces me as I lie on the beach, perfectly happy. It was a long drive here to George, over the mountains from my own dry little town, but it was undoubtedly worth it.
 
I finger through the damp sand, allowing my head to loll to the side and smile lazily at my twin sister. Her own face reflects mine, making me laugh at how I must look. A perfectly content rock rabbit, thawing in the sunlight. Our friends are surfing, making me wish that I could, without the hours of struggling and practice required to do so. I'll learn one day soon, when the sun isn't quite so delicious.
 
A few meters away, some children from the nearby township are playing in the sand, clearly as thrilled to be here as we are. My sister rises on her arms, whispering that she wants to take photos of them. Not whispering out of necessity, of course; simply because the sun doesn't allow for raised voices.
 
Boys from South Africa's townships happen to love being photographed. These are no exception. They soon realize our interest in their games, and come leaping, crawling and rolling over, closer to our position and to the camera. They offer up winning smiles and daring tricks before peering over our shoulders to see what they looked like. Our peaceful position has been flooded by a dozen dark bodies, and I smile at their enthusiasm. Kura and I soon join their games, burying her beneath the sand with the help of our excitable new friends.  
 
Our peaceful afternoon is somewhat ruined, while we receive as an alternative a rather exceptional moment in time. Something that will stay with me till my memory fades and my skin sinks. The beauty of meeting, for just a moment, and then never seeing again. Those children will be young forever. 

Tags: beach, sand, sunlight

About katja

Walking through a forest dotted with the oldest architecture (B.C.) I've ever se

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.