Existing Member?

Honkers - retail Haven, Dumpling Heaven

Hong Kong in 7 days - No Kids!

HONG KONG | Monday, 6 May 2013 | Views [664]

Update #1

We had a really relaxing flight over. Sitting one row away from business class certainly had its benefits (special thanks to Phil)! We were given chardonnay the whole flight from the business class fridge and were given french champagne as we landed. Not a bad way to start the trip!

We caught the train and bus to the Novotel Kowloon. We met Zoe who looked after our reservation and headed up to our room. Within 30 seconds of putting our bags down, we got a knock on the door from the executive chef and a room service attendant - with a bottle of Veuve on ice! Jonathon, thank you thank you thank you.... Wish we could have planned our trip when you were just that little bit closer so we could have shared it with you..

After checking our room out, we decided dinner was necessary. We went to a little local place packed full of people. Shared a table with someone else (I guess it's how they roll here) our dinner company was from Hong Kong originally but now lives in Toronto. He gave us a few tips... After dinner, we hit the Temple Street Markets. We found Lucy the perfect present already - a 1D ipod touch cover.... We will buy her two thinking she might break one with excitement.

Today we are exploring the retail haven of Hong Kong.... tonight we are our for dinner...

Update #2

Yesterday was a big day......we decided we should hit the shop and see what Nathan Road. We walked down to the harbour end and started the maze of all mazes - not actually sure what the shopping centres were as there were so many that all seem connected yet they weren't. We made a little damage to the credit card before walking back to the hotel.

Not 5 minutes in the hotel and we decided to try the Ladies markets - so we could compare this one with the adventure of Shenzhen to be following the next day. We didn't find much and spent most of the time looking for a one michelin star dumpling place (we have since been advised that it has relocated).

We spent a few hours browsing and then headed back for another 5 minute rest before deciding we should probably go on the peak tram given the weather was pretty amazing. Reading the website for the tram, it suggested min 2 hours! Based on this new knowledge, we dressed for dinner (which happened to be booked on Hong Kong Island) and raced to the island for the Peak tram experience. The view was amazing. It was very clear and we have photos to prove it (just can't post any due to internet connections).

After Peak tram, it was time for dinner with just enough time to have a quick pre dinner drink at a bar. I booked TBSP back in Australia based on a recommendation. It was amazing. The building itself is really run down and you get a code to get in the day before you arrive. The menu is basically a six course meal that changes monthly. The food itself was superb. The restaurant seats 12 or so inside and the chef comes and personally explains each of the dishes. There were also two extra little things to try through the meal. One of the courses was tripe - we ate it and it was delicious although I still can't tell you what tripe tastes like! The restaurant sang happy birthday and the other tables got into the spirit which made it a very special and fun night....

Today, after waking up at 9am, we hit Shenzhen for shopping.... shopping... shopping....shopping.. a little bit of food and some more shopping. We are officially exhausted and may have hit the retail threshold - luckily we haven't even come close to the dumpling threshold.

Tonight we will go local for dinner - probably one of the street stalls in the markets area but we will not be shopping.

Update #3

Surely it must be the sign of a good holiday when you are almost too tired to type or think - you just want to have a beverage and chill. Well that's what we are doing! Very slow to move today after a big day shopping yesterday. We took the train to Lantau Island to catch the cable car to see Buddha. Luckily I didn't eat too much before the cable car trip - it is long, very high up and did I mention long? 5.7km. I was looking at the walking path and was envious. Fog/clouds set in at one stage too so we were cabling blind at one stage. It was worth the trip though. 

On the way back, we checked out the outlets shops and are pleased to report that Australian full price clothes are cheaper than the outlets here - phew for the credit card. 

Tonight we are catching up with Monique Stapleton for a drink. Then who knows.....

I do want to find a teddy bear iPhone cover - they are all the rage I think.

Update #4

Last night was wonderful. We caught up with Mon at her amazing Hong Kong haven in the mid levels. We caught the train to central and decided we should tackle the escalators all the way up. I thought Jason catching a ferry home in Brisbane was novel but this was so much more fun. At almost the end, we traipsed on foot, the wrong direction, until we decided we should get in a taxi to Mon's place. Well any hopes of her returning home soon should be squashed. Amazing place. Thanks for having us! We then went into "town" for dinner and went to a Spanish tapas restaurant on the 20th floor o a building called Fofo. Beautiful white anchovies, sardines, scallop ceviche and more. We farewelled Mon - and entertained the thought of having a drink with the hoards of expats but confess we were too exhausted - made our way back to the MTR and back to the hotel by midnight. 

Today we started late. We then attempted to find this elusive one Michelin star dumpling place that this far had been difficult to find. After searching one mall, followed by another, we finally found this food court restaurant in the train station. Queue was about 30-45mins long - even at 2.30pm. They give you a docket while you wait and you prepare your order. They then call your number - but not in English - an you get seated and your food brought out. Amazing organised chaos. Food was lovely and also incredibly cheap - $25 for two and we were both full. After lunch we managed a little more retail but really we are over that then a quick harbour boat rode back and are now sitting with a bottle of bubbles in the bar - to celebrate J's 40th birthday. Tonight we will watch the light show and tomorrow Macau. Ps we got all our clothes back today from the tailor in Shenzhen. No alterations need to be made - perfect!!

Update #5

Last night was also our last night in honkers. After downing a bottle of bubbles, we headed off to watch the light show before having dinner with the locals at a street side "restaurant" at the Temple Street Markets. The dinner was delicious. Fried fish and black bean crab all washed down with a Hong Kong beer.

Update #6

Fun night last night. Saw House of Dancing Water at City of Dreams (very impressive show) followed by dropping small change into the slots, a few drinks in the VIP lounge with dinner, a trip to Venetian and dropping a few more dollars at Sheraton. Today we caught up with one of Jason's school friends. Had a lovely lunch - thanks Paul - and wandered though the hotel - which is so big they have transport inside! 

On our way home now - bags packed with Almond Fish bar snacks and headphones with earrings because that's how I now roll after a week in Honkers

 

Tags: hong kong

About katieo-01

Hong Kong Drinks

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.