Existing Member?

fly away

Why?

ECUADOR | Saturday, 4 January 2014 | Views [170]

With the week coming to an end, I have certainly learned a lot about intercultural communication and how it has effected identity. Identity with intercultural communication involves interactions, perceived stereotypes, and experiences. While participating in class lectures and reading articles about the economy, immigration and migration, it is easy to see why the Ecuadorian culture is the way it is. We each have all these different aspects that make us who we are such as, a daughter, a student, a female/male, our ethnicity, etc. All these impact the way we live our lives and how we perceive others around us. For example, me being a female as well as a daughter differs a lot compared to my host sister. My mother pushed me throughout middle school, high school, and college to chase my dreams no matter how epic they were; such as studying abroad, being thousands of miles away from home. She also encouraged me to go to Chicago to obtain my bachelor's degree even though it meant being half way across the country and only coming home to see her about four times a year. Although these trials are hard, it is something I have been brought up with for a long time. On the other hand, Silvana, my host sister, is encouraged to stay home and/or get a part time job. This lifestyle seems a lot more simplistic and less motivated or inspired to pay money and take time to go to college. When having a conversation with my host family, the couldn't believe how much time (or far less time) I didn't spend with my family. They believed it to be crazy and I don't think they really understood my reasoning for having these kind of desires. However, I also didn't really understand their reasoning as to why they weren't pushing Silvana to fulfill her education to the most of her abilities, because she is an intelligent young woman who could receive a better job than the part time job she currently has. Of course, it's important to note the availability or unavailability of wealth that they have to put Silvana through college. I have come to accept and acknowledge the identity differences between us. I find her identity entirely her own and unflawed. 

This also topic also relates back to the article we read about the little opportunities women have in Ecuador. This could also be why Silvana is not in college, because of the few opportunities she has in her country. People not being able to receive benefits has been around for awhile and continues today throughout Ecuador, although it has started to improve. In class we discussed the political strength men have and the way that society is socially constructed. Because of this, groups in Ecuador struggle with their identity and these cleavages sets up a negative division between people. This is always tied to history and is constantly changing, although at times they can be stagnant. Equal opportunities for women in Ecuador continues to grow and maybe someday Silvana's children or grandchildren will all be able to given the advantage to go to school and get an education. 

About katielysehuns


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.