Existing Member?

fly away

No me gusta Ethnocentrism

ECUADOR | Thursday, 2 January 2014 | Views [312]

Visiting the Museo de Culturas Aborignenes today really gave me the opportunity to learn about the main indigenous groups in Ecuador. This beautiful museum was full of artifacts and displays of all the different peoples in Ecuador that are from other geographical regions. I saw their specific influences on Ecuador, festivals, religious traditions, ancient practices, and the way they used to live their lives daily. It was definitely the largest and most in depth museum tour we went on and I was very intrigued by their practices. It gave me a greater explanation and look at the way they do the things they do, and why. We also were able to see very old archeological ruins, as well as birds that are native to Ecuador. 

I've noticed as I spend time walking around and exploring parts of Cuenca, that there are differences in personality and values that I am not used to. For example, I am a very friendly person and like to say "hello" when passing someone by on the streets, or smile as we walk by one another. I've noticed here in Ecuador, people do not do this. I will smile, and often times receive no kind of acknowledgment in return. If I smile, I just get stared back at and if I try to start a small conversation, I will get ignored. I have to admit it's a lot different from what I'm used to, for I usually get some kind of feedback. This is just something I'll have to get used to. 

I've also noticed the way people in Cuenca present themselves in public. Cuenca is very conservative. They do not wear shorts, skirts, or tight clothing. It's interesting to see the differences in the way Ecuadorians present themselves through the clothes they wear. For example, about half the people will be wearing more traditional clothing and the other half will be wearing more modern clothing. 

Today really helped me be able to see the negative effects of ethnocentrism. Ethnocentrism is the inherent belief in the superiority of our own culture versus others. I know that I would never want to look down on other cultures because I've started to really learn about the beauty in Ecuadorian culture. By doing this, I have began an interpretive approach to communication, which allows me to get to know Ecuadorians better through talking and descriptions told by the Ecuadorians I have been in contact with. I think this qualitative approach helps me understand their unique culture and avoid labeling and generalizing. All the interactions I have had in Cuenca have each been unpredictable, yet very amusing and educational. My culture is both similar and opposite from Ecuadorian culture in some ways. However, I have come to appreciate the differences and have respect for their traditions and history. When it comes down to it, no culture deserves to be a victim of ethnocentrism and I hope to bring my experiences and lessons learned from this trip back home and remember the importance of all the cultural diversities in the U.S.

About katielysehuns


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.