Existing Member?

Where one journey ends another begins!

Argentina, vino y mas!

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 22 December 2009 | Views [443]

Our first city from the border was Salta. We stayed a couple of nights here where we wandered the streets, checked out the plazas and it was all very european. Italian being a very popular choice and well of course meat! Argentina was certainly like entering a different world coming from Bolivia so there is always a good vibe among the travellers.

We really experienced the nightlife in Salta and paid for it the next day with extreme tiredness. However, it was absolutely necessary to start getting into the way of life here. Eating dinner at 11pm, start dancing at 2am and finish around 8am! We just have to work out fitting in an afternoon siesta next time!

After a very luxurious bus ride where the night cap was a glass of champaign we knew we weren´t in Kansas anymore! Although somewhat more expensive than Peru or Bolivia the buses in this country are amazing!

Mendoza was the next destination and the one I have been looking forward to most! The wine played a role in that but Mendoza is a city with so much more. Fell inlove with it almost instantly and was very happy that we managed to stay just over one week.

We sampled many delicous dishes in many fine restaurants, wandered the streets, shopped in the boutiques and it is virtually impossible not to aquire a love for Malbec! Even managed to get the running gear on a few times!

We spent one day riding on old school bikes through the Mapiu wine region of Mendoza. Took a long lazy delicious lunch in a gorgeous garden setting. Finished with a formal tour of the Trapiche winery (may have seen it on the shelves at Dans) for more sampling before making our way back.

We took another day to go the an aqua park which was something very different than the old Wet and Wild. Set in the foot of the rugged mountains the locals come in masses to cook a BBQ lunch (the quantity of meat on the BBQ itself, I had never seen anything quite like it) and get wet in the various rocky pools. It is summer now so the days have been full of sun and blue skies, maybe another reason why it has been hard to leave. All in all Mendoza 12/10 everyone needs to go!

Next was Buenos Aires! Amazing city, very European but something very special about it if you have the time. We were very lucky as it turns out we had time and spent 2 weeks in total. One week in the Bohemian district of San Telmo, and one in Palermo the very stylish district.

Christmas - with a very generous and kind family in a Boutique hotel was unforgetable and very special.

New years - Lovely dinner with great friends then clubbing - very long night.

New years day - learning about the Dakar Rally in the Red Bull marquee, a lovely unexpected surprise!

Tango Show - A fantastic night out

Shopping - Brilliant but time spent can get away from you!

Retiro cemetary/Aristocratic bike tour - Awesome and educational

La Boca - Completely different from other districts. Much tango and another dance I cant remember the name of. Also amazing colourful buildings and murals (not good to wander too far from the main tourist attractions though).

Can spend many days wandering the streets of Buenos Aires just taking it all in!

Iguazu falls Argentina- amazing, amazing, spectacular, boat ride under the falls itself was just 100% pure fun!

Not so good this time around my blog but it gives you an idea of where I have been and what I am up to. Argentina is one of my top 5 favourite countries visited in my life thus far!

About katieburns

Fabulous Machu Picchu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.