Existing Member?

Berlin: Ich Liebe Dich

Berlin: Ich Liebe Dich

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 25 April 2015 | Views [152] | Scholarship Entry

I went to Berlin at the end of November with two friends to visit our friend who's currently living over there with her boyfriend. She and Jonas met when we were all in sixth form, and they've been together ever since, travelling from country to country to visit each other. And now she's finished University, it seemed the perfect time to go over to Germany to live with him.

Her flat is situated in Schöneberg, a district of Berlin strewn with bright coloured graffiti with mists of cigarette smoke lingering on street corners. It was in a tall block of flats, which we had to climb up four flights of wide, dusty stairs to reach, with a black cat leading our way. It was a rudimentary, clean flat with high ceilings and only cost around €250 a month. I loved the atmosphere of Berlin, steeped in tragic history but all the more triumphant and vibrant for it now.

There were a huge range of cultures, including a large Turkish population, which I never knew about before. There were kebap houses everywhere, and you could buy dürüm döner (the traditional Turkish kebab) with lamb, beef or chicken for only a few euros, and you also got unlimited free Turkish tea (taken black and preferably with sugar because of its bitterness) and free chickpea soup. The kebabs are a must try when you're in Berlin.

Of course, it's essential to visit Berlin's landmarks, including the Reichstag, Brandenburg gate and the remnants of the Berlin Wall at Checkpoint Charlie. The Reichstag is majestic yet ominous, and has an eerie appearance when you first see it as you walk along the river. The Holocaust Memorial is also a haunting experience, but also looks very impressive in its vastness. You can't help but feel a sadness emanating from the place, and it makes you stop and reflect for a while.

The nightlife in Berlin is obviously legendary. Sadly, we didn't get to experience the blasting techno music Berlin has to offer as we were only there for 4 nights. Although apparently Berlin's most exclusive club, Berghain, requires you to look and dress a certain way in order to be let in. Sounds a little scary to me.

We visited now defunct Tempelhof airport in Tempelhofer feld, an immense airport built in 1927 by the Nazis, acting as one of the most iconic pre-World War II airports. Now, it is totally abandoned, and citizens ride their bikes and fly kites on its landing strips that go on for miles. It's quite a sight.

Berlin, you are beautiful.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About katieamos


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.